Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

cervical herniation

I am a 36 year old female with 2 herniated disk that are putting preasure on my spinal cord and nerve root. Doctor says I need surgery a fusion of both disk. I am scared to death and not sure what to do he has be on nerountin not sure if its helping yet or not. Just would like to talk to someone about their experience with this. I am scheduled to have the surgery on the 21 of next month. I just dont know how I am going to do it.
Thanks
Rachel
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had the surgery too.  Now I also have constant pain in my left shoulder blade amongst many other areas.  I had the surgery done because they said I had myelopathy(pushing on the spinal cord). I could hardly walk. I had numbness, tingling, weakness from the neck down.  It came on suddenly.  I got worse after surgery.  I don't know why.  They can't really find anything wrong.  I personally, regret the surgery. I only had it because I couldn't walk.  I would not have done it because of the pain, which was severe.  I strongly suggest you get a second opinion.  I didn't, and I regret it.
Helpful - 0
178107 tn?1315947630
I had a 2 level cervical fusion 3 months ago and I wish everyday that I hadn't had it done. I did a lot of research on it before I had it, with most everyone having great results.  Prior to surgery I had neck and arm pain, numbness in my arm and hand.  Now I have terrible pain in both arms, both hands are numb and I have limited use of them,and between my shoulder blades burn like fire.  I wake up with a headache and go to bed with a headache.  I survive on pain pills and muscle relaxers.  They have increased the dosage of my pain pills 4 times since surgery.  So far the doctor can not explain why I'm having this pain.  I go back this week for more test.  I went into it never thinking that I would end up like this.  I don't mean to scare you, most people do very well.  I have two small children and this has turned their world upside down.  I just wish I had known that this could have happened.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease