Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Daily Chronic Headaches and Neck Pain

Male 38 years old. I have had daily headaches commencing upon waking for 5 years. Take NSAIDs daily, but relief is temporary. Last spinal xray normal. Last CT scan normal. Pain is at the base of my skull where the neck joins on right side. Pain radiates over head and into sinus and inner ears. As a sidenote, pain increases to extreme levels when I sneeze, cough, bend over, lift heavy objects, and exercise. It seems most doctors just think I am out for "pain meds", but quite the opposite. I just want to feel better. Any suggestions
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Read my reply to Facial Pain 2/15. I researched TMJ disorders and was so releived that I hadnt lost my mind afterall!
Helpful - 0
149087 tn?1258453820
Hello. Sorry to hear youve been having such bad headaches. The first thing that popped into my head as you were describing some of your symptoms was a condition called arnold chiari malformation or ACM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WAIT: FIRST LET ME SAY THAT I DO NOT INTENT TO SCARE YOU OR SEND YOU INTO AN ANXIETY ATTACK, THIS IS JUST WHAT CAME TO MY MIND WHEN READING YOUR POST.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I myself have this, and it can cause massive migraine headaches, upon other things if its progressing.

I went to this website and got this information for you, I think you may be interested in reading it, but heres a sample of what it says...
--------------------------------
Adults and adolescents who are unaware they have Arnold-Chiari I type malformation may develop headache that is predominantly located in the back of the head and is increased by coughing or straining. Symptoms of progressive brain impairment may include dizziness, an impaired ability to coordinate movement, double vision, and involuntary, rapid, downward eye movements.
-----------------------------------------------------

Does any of that sound like it fits how you feel? Well here is that website just incase you would like to read more on it.
http://headaches.about.com/od/essentialinfosheets/a/chiari_info.htm

Here is another website that might interest you, its sort of like a fact sheet on arnold chiari malformation.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/chiari/chiari.htm

Like I said, I myself have this. I didnt even know I had it until they did an MRI and they just happened to find it then, otherwise I would have gone my whole life not knowing. I am 28 now, and I believe I was about 24 when they found it, along with a pituitary tumor, which also gives me really bad headaches, and dizziness, pretty much the same symptoms that the arnold chiari does. Right now my arnold chiari is stable. I do not need surgery at this time, but there is a message board somewhere on the net that has people on there who have gone through the surgery. I think its called chips page or something like that.

I am not in anyway saying that this is what you have or that this is what is wrong with you, I am just saying that when I read your post and your symptoms and then where you complain of having pain, and more pain upon sneezing ect, thats what made me think of the ACM.

The only way to know for sure if infact thats what it is though is to have an MRI done. I hope that its not that severe. Take care and good luck. :)
Aurora

Helpful - 0
Hey, I'm new to this computer communication stuff.  I read your symptoms and thought of myself.  I'm scheduled for an MRI tomorrow morning.  Hopefully, I(they) will discover the cause of these abnormal headaches.  My pain also starts at the base of my skull and radiates up and over my head.  Then it feels like my brain is contracting.  It only lasts for a few minutes though.  So far, I've been diagnosed with a migraine variant, tension headaches, and depression.  None of which I truely have. AND Who doesn't have stress in their lives?  But that isn't the cause of these "strange" symptoms.  Maybe I'll know more soon??? Thanks for listening.  Mel
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease