Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Can someone help me make sense of my nighttime numbness?

Hi everyone,

Here's my story: For awhile, I've been experiencing some on and off tingling in the arms and legs. At night, I wake up with an arm, leg or both numb. When I move it around some and change position, it gets better. But this happens every night. I got an MRI (or maybe it was an MRA) because I feared MS and found out I have a 'questionable small 2mm (unruptured) aneurysm near the left MCA bifurcation.' The doc does NOT seem to think the numbness and tingling is caused by the annie. In addition to seeing a neurosurgeon in a week for the annie, he wants me to see a neurologist for the nighttime numbness.

What on earth could this be? I was thinking Restless Legs Syndrome but it doesn't completely fit with RLS symptoms. I mean, if it's not dangerous I can live with it. I just don't want to have some life threatening condition and not know.

Any ideas? Possibilities? Clues? I am 29 years old, a mother of two. I am of thin to average body weight, low blood pressure. I work at home with a laptop on my lap. I was wondering if it could be a combination of carpal tunnel and a back issue? Or perhaps a harmless side effect of low blood pressure? I am NOT diabetic, I was diagnosed pre-diabetic a few years back but at my last two sugar checks my levels were perfectly normal.

Thanks!

Angela
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Is it possible that your habit of sitting with the laptop is starting to pinch nerves in the neck? I read a book written by a chiro and one of his patients kept coming in with a sore neck. He met her at her office one day and saw her on her cell phone with it tucked between her head and shoulder. You know how small these are, so she really had her neck cranked. When asked, she told him she spent maybe 4 hours a day on her little phone and yeah, she liked to do other things with her hands while yakking.

So maybe you need to stop doing the laptop thing for a bit and do some stretching exercises to get muscles relaxed again.
Lee
Helpful - 0
Have you had an MRI of your cervical spine?  Any problem with a disk etc...can affect you from the neck down.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease