Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

bilateral adnexal cysts

I was recently hospitalized for severe gastroenteritis and the dr. had them do a CTscan on my abdomen.  They found large bilateral adnexal cysts in my left adnexal region.  The dr. told me I have large cysts on my left ovary but I had a oophrectomy many years ago in which my ovaries were removed.  So how can this be...with no ovary why would I develop these cysts and what would they be attached to? (I also had a hysterectomy 18 years ago.) The CTscan also showed that I have an appendix and that was removed 18 years ago as well.

4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My grandmother had ovarian cancer when she was 35 and Now there is a chance I could get it. I am thinking about having a oophrectomy so i don't get cancer
Helpful - 0
155056 tn?1333638688
There is something called Ovarian Remnant Syndrome.  Sometimes during an oopherectomy there can be ovarian tissue left behind, it is more common if there have been previous abdominal surgeries or edno or other conditions that may cause scarring.  Unfortunately, this Syndrome is rare and there is not a lot of information available.  The only way of knowing for certain if the cysts that have developed are ovarian tissue without tissue samples.  

I have what my GYN/ONC believes is ORS.  I had my right tube/ovary removed in 2000 and at the same time they removed a cyst from my left ovary.  In 2004 when I went in for surgery the GYN/ONC commented on the scar tissue that I had developed.  2 years later, I developed a cyst in the area of my "cervical" stump that is continusouly monitored because in 2000 I was diagnosied with stage 1A OvCa.

Although the chances are slim, I believe it is around 5 percent, you can develop OvCa without ovaries...the cancer develops in the peritoneal cavity.  The cancers are treated the same.
Helpful - 0
I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW I CAN GET THESE ADNEXAL AND HEMORRHAGIC CYST ON OVARIES THAT WERE REMOVED THREE YEARS AGO AND CLAIM THAT I HAVE ORGANS THAT WERE REMOVED SURGICALLY?
Helpful - 0
242604 tn?1328121225
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi there,
It sounds like you need to have a careful review of your Ct scan. you may have what is called an ovarian remnant syndrome where residual ovarian tissue forms cysts. or it could be that you have cysts of the lining of your abdominal wall. You should also have a colonoscopy and a CA 125 drawn
best wishes
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.