Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Complex Cyst during Pregnancy

I ran across this webboard and have found some very helpful/informative information so I thought I would post my issue.  I had a sonogram last week b/c I have had severe morning sickness for the past couple of weeks (do to being pregnant w/ my first baby... I am eight weeks pregnant).  In the exam they found a complex cyst on my left ovary.  The doctor did not seem concerned about it as he indicated it was "feeding the babies pulmonary system right now."  He said that they will check it out at the 11 week mark and see if there are any changes.  I have no history of anyone in my family that has ovarian cancer or breast cancer (I know that is a risk factor).  I am 31 y/o, healthy female (well, except the morning sickness right now).  My question is, should I be concerned... some documentation I read says that complex cysts are "worrisome" and I can not find many articles on women who are pregnant developing them.  Is it common?  Is there anything I should or shouldn't be doing int he interim.  I appreciate any one's feedback, thanks in advance!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
16702 tn?1234090645
I think you posted your question in the wrong place.  If you want to post to the doctor, there is a limited to the number of questions per day and you have to keep trying.
If you want to ask members of this forum, you have to click on "Ovarian Cancer" on the left side, then post a question...Loads of people there to help you with your questions.
Helpful - 0
I am Aileen from the philippines 25 years old and between 20 to 21 weeks pregnant with my second baby. I have right ovarian cyst discovered it last november last year with the the size of 12 cm but latelt had a ultrasound and the size was already 7 cm and the volume of liquid inside the cyst also decreased. I had been to 6 Ob Gyne and all advised for an operation. The  Process was called pelvic laparatomy and oophorectomy removal of the right ovary with the cyst? Would that be safe for me and for my baby? I do no know what to do anymore.. Please can anyone help me? You can email me at ***@****
Helpful - 0
242604 tn?1328121225
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi Danielle,
No you should not be concerned. You most likely have a cyst of pregnancy. It is making the progesterone needed to implant the pregnancy. Once the placenta is fully formed, the cyst will most likely go away.  It turns out that most ovarian cysts in pregnancy will resolve by the second trimester.

Having said that, there are definately some cysts that are tumors and do not go away. Every now and then it is necessary to remove an ovarian cyst in pregnancy.
I would wait and see what your ultrasound shows next month
Good luck with the morning sickness! Stay hydrated.
best wishes
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.