Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

partitions in cyst

Where I live radiologists are not supposed to comment or disclose anything they might see on an ultrasound. But I was lucky and had a wonderful technician who showed me the images and explained what I was seeing. Short story... My abdominal sonogram did not give a clear picture- I was late drinking all that water and it hadn't "arrived" in the blader yet, I guess. But it appeared the cyst had either partially resoved(it showed at 1.7 cm as opposed to previous 5.5 cm) or it was parially obscured by a section of bowel. The Transvaginal gave "perfect" images. It showed no decrease in the measurement from this angle, and 3 sections,one of which appeared grey and foggy, the other two black.The radiologist would not comment on possible contents of the partitions nor the thickness of the septations. Their staff doctor would review the pictures on Tuesday and calculate the mass of the cyst before sending off his report to my gyn.

I see my gyn on Thursday. He's not too communicative. If he does not mention the septations and "grey foggy" area, should I bring it up? I don't want to cause trouble for the radiologist, but I have a sense that this is an important observation. Also, should I be pushing for removal of that ovary and cyst as I'd like to see happen, or go along with more wait and see? I'm 50+, thought I was menopausal until I got a period last month and the one before. I've had 3 ultrasounds since Sept, and "the usual" complaints (back, ovarian and leg pain, heaviness in my right abdomin, nausea,etc.) Thanks everyone who has given me advice and a sense of calm.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Your chart belongs to you, not the physicisn or his/her clinic.
If you want a copy of your reports you should insist and they should accomodate.
The cancer center I do business with provides me with copies of whatever I request. Some nurses ask me to talk to the doctor first and others just get me what I ask for. After this much time I know who to ask!
I was diagnosed via vaginal ultrasound April 25 and had a TAH on April 27. My tumor was the size of a grapefruit and I had experienced no pain except for nagging occaasional discomfort until the very end when my bladder was being pressured by the size of the tumor. The tumor was contained until the surgeon nicked it allowing spillage into the peritoneal cavity causing me to have to undergo chemo. My last treatment was in Oct. and I feel well.  I was diagnosed to be 1C and I continue to be the luckiest person I have ever known. Sometime today I will get the results of my MRI from last week; my onc will call and read me the report over the phone. I think it is easier on them when they just give me the report rather than having to deal with me pestering for it! I am truely the squeaky wheel! I do better when I know exactly what is going on and what I am up against. Sounds to me like you are the same way.
Good luck and don't ever give up.
Peace.  dian
Helpful - 0
Yes, if the septations are thin then they are less likely to be malignant.  Also,  despite having not seen your images, I would guess that you have it correct - "solid black" actually indicates clear fluid, while "fuzzy grey" indicates some solid materials, possibly debris, in a cyst.
Helpful - 0
I will be sure to do that! Are septations considered harmful if they are not thick? Does a solid dark area on an ultrasound represent fluid whereas the grey fuzzy area may indicate some solid or haemoragic content? Last visit when I asked the gyn's nurse if I could see the forwarded copies of my 2 previous ultrasounds, her jaw dropped. "You'll have to ask the doctor about that." I asked the intern/assistant when she was taking my oral history, and she asked what I was concerned about. I said I wanted to know if anything was mentioned aside from the cyst and fibroid and if there had been an increase in size. She scanned through the reports, told me there was nothing else,then slipped them back into my chart folder. Don't they realize this secretive, behaviour makes them appear less-than-fully honest and control-freaky.(It also appears to make me a tad paranoid.) Thanks for your once-again prompt and encouraging reply. I hope things are going well with you and your "new" cyst.
Helpful - 0
Ask for a copy of the ultrasound report, especially if your doctor will not read ALL of  it to you.   The ultrasound report should include  at least possible diagnosis for the findings.  My report was very specific in details.  I did not ask for a copy as my doctor read it word for word.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.