Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Could someone explain what CA 125 means

I am a bit confused by a very dear person who has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, stage 3, 1 1/2 years ago and underwent full surgery,  chemo, then reaccurrence with another set of 6 months of chemo. I am trying so hard to find out her status as we are living far from her. she doesnt seem to tell us too much, therefore i am trying to find out my questions via your website in hopes to know her prognosis. She took the ca125 in september only to know her score was 50, then in November it was 80. they reaquested she go visit her doctor the following week and take a CT scan. we were all worried but were glad to hear that he told her to stop the chemo, Doxil for 3 months and she got the clear, nothing was wrong. can this be or could she know something more? She is in her 60's. please shed me some light
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The norm is 35, my mum has a 4th stage of ovarian cancer and hers CA125 is up to 21000. It does not really mean much. Even if it is that high you can still be ok.
Helpful - 0
CA125 is somewhat unique to the individual and thus there is not generally a rule of thumb of what is high and what is low. CA125 is also not a definitive indication of ovarian cancer. A high reading based upon averages is only indication that there maybe cancer in the ovary. The CA125 test for diagnoses is used to build a bigger picture along with an ultrasound and other tests.

However the test is used as a blood markers test prior to each session of chemotherapy to see how the patient is responding to the treatment.

Once the treatment has completed then it is again used as an indication if the cancer has re-occurred. Again it is not a definitive test to diagnose cancer and again it is unique to the individual based upon previous results.... hope this helps :o)
Helpful - 0
yes, but i was under the impression 80 was on the high side?  Can someone also shed light as to what to expect next? In 2 months when she goes back for another checkup, will she possilbly have to go through chemo again? i'm just so worried, especially with her age. I also want to tell my kids the situation.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.