Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Sonogram finding

Need help evaluating my US result.[Echogenic focus within ovary measuring 8mm,demonstrates posterior acoustic shadowing. In retrospect, this was present previously, but shadowing could not be seen. The shadowing indicates that this is due to calcification.It could represent part of a calcified dermoid though the patient is somewhat older. (I am 51) Ovarian calcifications other than epidermoids are unsual. Could be further evaluated at MRI.] Doc has scheduled MRI, expensive. Thought US was the gold standard for diagnosis? Why the MRI?
This time last year I was having no period and hot flashes. I felt great.In April I started to spot when I had relations,than sporatically and at times heavy. The doc said, just premenopause.
Truthfully, I wouldnʻt be worried if I felt better, Increasingly lathargic, heavy uncomfortable feeling down my backside and lower back aches. Pelvic exams are painful, very odd. I eat just a bit & am full, eat a heavy meal I get nausious. Been getting biting pains, right of my belly button, lasts 20-30 seconds. I get this weird buzzing feeling sometimes at night or early in the morning. I know this sounds hypochondriac like but these are real, beginning to affect my day to day. I am a first time grandmother of 4 month twins, absolute joy, want to be there. I tell people and they just say donʻt worry. I am worried.
If anyone can give me insight I would so much appreciate this. I live in rural Hawaii and the docs are the luck of the draw.It was my reg Doc who insisted that irregular periods not normal. He called my gynDr for follow-up.
Mahalo, Mahina
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I wanted to add that I took a US in April and it found that my right ovary, (only one left) was enlarged. My Dr. never told me this. When I recieved the above postʻs report is when I found out. It has since come down somewhat. My problem is I donʻt know what a normal size ovary should look like. They do have a baseline of my left ovary, which was removed 5 years ago. But have know idea what that means if anything. 17x16 mm.
Helpful - 0
It is not uncommon for doctors to request an MRI or a CT when there is scant information from an ultrasound.  Your ultrasound results indicate that something seems to be there, but really give no clue as to what, other than a possible dermoid.

There was a time when doctors believed that a calcification was an indicator of malignancy, but since the development of  new imaging techiniques, they have learned that calcifications are not that uncommon.  I think I recall reading that current medical thought is that calcifications are merely  an indicator of chronic inflammation.  You can probably find more information  on that subject by looking around the internet than I can give you.

Some of your symptoms could simply be due to the effect this "mass" (I don't know what else to call it so I am simply using that term) is having on your ovary and the normal hormone production.  Even in menopause, the ovaries, or remaining ovary, produce small amounts of hormones.  

Still, you need further follow-up and testing to get more information.
Helpful - 0
I hope I didnʻt confuse you, the shadowing with calcification is only 8mm in size, my ovary is 17x16 mm or 1.7 x 1.6 cm.
The doctor didnʻt say that it had to come out or anything at all, except to take the MRI. Am I suppose to take it out if it is not cancer?
I live on the windward side of the Big Island if Hawaii.I am Hawaiian but my husbands family lives in MN.
Helpful - 0
Your doctor will better be able to advise you on the next step when the MRI results are in to the office.  It is difficult to state what that advice will be.  It is obvious that you are in need of some form of treatment to relieve your symptoms, regardless of whether there is cancer!
Helpful - 0
When you say scant information does that mean that it is far more likely that this is all for not? I donʻt want to have tests for nothing. I would like a dr. to only do these when there are positive indicators for a problem that needs immediate attention or continued follow-up. If there was something obvious on my test would it have definitley showed up? I dont go to Dr.s except for annual check-ups, paps, mammo, etc. I want to make informed decisions about my health, but I dont trust drs much.
Thank you for the feedback.
Mahina
Helpful - 0
I recommend having the MRI.  It reads in  your ultrasound report that there does appear to be something in or on the ovary; you and your doctor need to know more information about it.  You are also having symptoms that need to be further explored even if the MRI indicates the issue with the ovary is either resolved or requires further investigation - which will likely mean surgery.

The basic situation with ovarian masses is that time is of the essence.  Prompt follow-ups and even quickly scheduled surgeries can truly make the difference if a  cancer is found.
Helpful - 0
Mahalo a nui. Thank you very much.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.