Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Got surgery date!

Hi everyone.  Posted yesterday for the first time, though I have been reading everyone else's posts for over a week and feel like I know you already!

I just got back from the Gyn/Onc appt.  I have a surgery date for Monday, Jan 23rd.  The doc feels that the mass has to come out and I found out I DO have a left ovary still (or at least part of it) even though it was supposed to have been removed two years ago!  The doc will do a exploratory laparotomy through a vertical incision as opposed to a bikini cut.  Yuck!

He feels confidant that I will also have some bowel resection while he's in there so I can plan on a 5-10 day hospital stay.  
He talked about having a frozen section done and if it's malignant, then do a debulking surgery and staging all at the same time.  

The good news is my CA 125 came back as normal - 7.  My cyst/mass is complex with septations and now measures about 7 x 5 cm.  I just want it out of there!!!

I am only 36 years old with four boys at home and I really need to be okay for their sake.  

Please please pray for me and I would appreciate any comments or advice anyone of you could give me.  Thank you.  
~Dawn
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I do know that 1 single cell can be enough for it to grow.  We have several women where I work that had total hysterectomies from many years before, and now have unknown primary cancers(usually stage 4 by the time treatment begins). After debulking and numerous tests, it is ususally revealed as ovca.  My neighbor died at the age of 52 and they found a week before that hers was ovca but she was treated as unknown primary.  That was at least 6 years ago and I know that type of cancer is more easily identified with the number of tumor markers you have done now. I think the rate of growth depends on how fast your cells divide and the hormone your body produces or receives to aid in growth.
Helpful - 0
Good luck on the 23rd and 7th ladies.  That so bites Dawn.  Having worked for attorneys for years, you want to think real hard before going into any malpractice mess.  Actually, this would be negligence rather than malpractice. What would be great for you is if the doc has a good lawyer herself and is advised to just settle things out rather than have her record besmirched.  Take care of getting all the way well though before you start any of that nonsense.  Getting involved in litigation is an absolutely awful thing to go through.  Again, good luck, love, hugs and God bless, Barb
Helpful - 0
I have a question about your post on the Ovarian Remnant Syndrome.  How large a remnant must be left to cause this re-growth?

I had my left ovary removed last year, along with the fallopian tube, and the hideous cyst that was attached to both.  Now I have an ultrasound report indicating that I have a cyst on my left ovary.  Well, I saw the photographs of my abdominal area, before and after the  removal of the previously mentioned tissues.   It was scraped bare and then rinsed and suctioned.  If there was ovarian tissue left, then it was small, very very small.
Helpful - 0
Understand the waiting game Dawn.  In September, I went to the surgeon on the 2nd, surgery scheduled for the 14th, all of my sigmoid and about 4-6 inches of the descending colon removed.  Longest 12 days in my life, especially the day before.  Haagen Daas and Sees truffles work wonders for that. . .  I'll say some prayers for you both ladies.  Love, hugs and God bless Barb
Helpful - 0
hit here blue...good luck to you sweetie..i am having a total abdominal hysterectomy on the 26 due to a very large complex mass,several fibroids,and chronic pain...did you find out why they told you they took your right ovary when in fact they did not?i think id be a little ticked..but then again,i get ticked very easy..lol...good luck to you,i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers...please do the same for me....sonie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.