Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Enlarged Ovary with Calcification

Firstly, thank you for your time. I was diagnosed with lymphoma nearly 2 years ago- the type I have has no cure so you treat it as needed. I am regularly scanned and on my latest scans, there were some "incidental findings" Cystic lesions is what the CT read. I followed up with my gyn and he did an ultrasound. He said my left ovary is perfect but my right one is enlarged and has some calcification. He ordered the tumor marker tests and said if they are normal, we will just watch the ovaries and if they are abnormal, he will go in and take a look.

Can you please tell me if an enlarged ovary with calcification is something to be concerned with? What are other common causes for the calcification/enlarged ovary?

Again I appreciate your time and help. I could not imagine having a second cancer. I am 37 and had a baby 7 months ago. Found out I had cancer and became pregnant shortly after. The baby is PERFECT!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well, you will have to wait for tests and results as well as a consult with your doctor...but if I had to guess...you apparently have cystic lesions which might possibly mean that your ovaries are now forming cysts, probably cysts that are not resolving properly.  Assuming that you have never had a problem with cysts previously, then it might be that the chemotherapy is disrupting your normal hormone production and normal monthly progression of functional cysts on your ovaries.  I know that chemotherapy can disrupt normal hormone production and in some cases, the chemotherapy actually stops permanently the hormone production of the ovaries.
Helpful - 0
While my scans were for my lymphoma, as I just finished two months of treatment (Rituxan is the drug) My cancer responded great - I am in a partial remission from my lymphoma - going into 2 more month of treatment the end of January. The scan stated the following in regards to my ovaries. The following...

Today's study demonstrates rather generous cystic lesions, which I suspect are ovarian or adnexal in orgin. These range in size up to about 2.7cm. Futher investigation with pelvic ultrasound is recommended.

So in a nutshell...my lymphoma is responding to the treatment I am taking and these cystic lesions are "incidental findings" and I am scared to death. Like I have said - I already have been dealing with cancer and certainly don't know if I can handle another one so soon. Thanks for listening and if there is anything more you can add to hopefully give me piece of mind. I would be grateful!

Michelle
Helpful - 0
Yes, you need to be concerned in that you do need follow-ups on this ovary.  But, no, it is not time to panic.  Your test results will give you more information.  However, the test results might be influenced by lymphoma and treatments for it.   Enlargement and calcification, if I have my facts straight, indicate inflammation, or more specifically,  chronic inflammation.  Treatments you are given for your lymphoma might be responsible for this finding.  Also, from your post I conclude the imaging apparently did not indicate a  lesion on, or a tumor within, the ovary.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.