Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

dermoid cyst unusual, questions, concerned! pls help.

I was diagnosed with a very small dermoid cyst via US.  It appears to be merely 7mm.  (not cm!)  When i look online, i see women who typically have cysts much larger.  
I have been very symptomatic, including, but not linited to:  hot flashes, feeling pregant (full abdomin, nauseaus, very fatiqued)  What prompted me to see the doc was 3 days of rather intense pain in my left ovary radiating up to just over my belly button. I have had unusual "twingy" pain on the right for months (unusual for me).  Also, I am experiencing severe back ache. The final straw was a brief episode of mid cycle spotting.  I also have trouble emptying my bladder (i go, then go again, again...)  and, an unusual amount of heavy clear stringy discharge.

I have had follicular cysts in the past, that have caused pain, but resolved.  

So, the US revealed this little dermoid cyst, and doc says this type of cyst has to be removed. BUT, they grow slowly, and to recheck it in one month.   Meanwhile, he is concerned due to symptoms, and to notify him if any change.

I keep reading posts online of women who had a cyst , and once the docs went "in" surgically, another cyst was found etc.  I also have read of women who say cysts did not show up one month, and showed up huge on US the very next month.   I am left worrying that MAybe I HAVE  a second cyst, or size was misjudged... this might explain all the symptoms... !

Of course, I dont even want to type it, but OVCA is a concern too... for anyone going through this stuff.

see next post for more....
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi, I had surgery in Dec, for mine. I would have to say, if the cyst I had dated back to 2001, I started with the same type of symptoms, they subsided later until last year.  I also started pain killers that helped me tolerate it.  The bladder thing was constantly changing in the beginning it was hard to go and then as the cyst was bigger it caused me to go so much especially in the night.  They did find a cyst in 2001 on my left ovary but I didn't really mess with it until Nov. of last year.  My dr. thought it was smaller, the ultrasound showed it larger than his estimate and then they rescheduled for a vaginal ultrasound three weeks later because I had just had my period.  It was again larger.  So the second ultrasound showed 4cm, then during surgery it was 5cm. Time Frame Nov. was first ultrasound had surgery by the 20th of Dec.  I complained of symptoms of pelvic pain after having my daughter.  It had grown since the first according to my Dr.  So I don't know if something triggers it to grow , I have been stressed out all year.  That is good if they plan on doing more ultrasounds.  Mine was benign but looked suspicious on the ultrasound and was bleeding.  Good Luck and don't let it stress you out.  Crystal
Helpful - 0
I know what you are going through.  I have had some functioning cysts that have ruptured last year.  They went away with birth control pills.  But due to recent left side pain, I had a follow up US which showed a complex 4 cm cyst with fluid inside, which my doctor said is probably a dermoid cyst and will not go away with birth control pills.  She is scheduling me for surgery to have it removed in a week and a half.  I just hope that she can save my ovary as it's my only one left :(!  

I hope you find some answers soon.
Helpful - 0
thank you, pls kep us posted. I will be checking back often, and I will let you know what develops.
Helpful - 0
continued from above ^^^

I am hoping that someone here can shed some light on the idea of such a small cyst being so problematic.  Or, is my theory of another undiagnosed cyst more likely?  

any AND all advice is much needed right now, as I am OCD and get too worried about stuff.  I have to wait this out to feb 10, and it is driving me round the bend!  The symptoms are bearable, but barely.  

I have enjoyed reading all your posts, the internet is a modern miracle in that we can establish community!

god bless,

m
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.