Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

CA-125 and solid ovarian mass

I found out through ultrasound that I have a couple of small simple cysts in one ovary and a solid mass (about 3x3x2 cm) in the other one. My doctor was going to just monitor it by doing another ultrasound next month, but I asked for the CA-125. It came back elevated at 68. I have a lap scheduled now.

I'm basically scared to death I have cancer. My doctor said "you don't have cancer - in 25 years of doing this, I've never seen someone with your level of CA-125 have cancer". She said it is usually way higher (500's). She said it's probably endo. My question is, how worried should I be REALISTICALLY to have this level of CA-125 with a small solid ovarian mass? Is it improbable as she says (she seems totally sure it's not cancer) or am I being fooled?
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
523728 tn?1264621521
You should start a new post, this thread is 3 years old.
Helpful - 0
I am waiting for diagnosis, have a CA125 level of 440.  How are you now.

Helpful - 0
Hi, have you seen a gyn-oncologist?  If not you should see one just to get their opinion.  I was 33 and my CA 125 was 66 - I also was told "you don't have ovarian cancer".  I was diagonsed with Stage 1 borderline ovarian cancer.  A very slow growing cancer that is usually cured with surgery.  I was very lucky.  I have heard of women who've had CA125 level in the normal range (between 0-35) and were diag with ov cancer.  

That being said remember ovarian cancer is rare and your level isn't elevated that much and infections, your period amoung many other things can raise your level.

But if you can get an opinion from a gyn-onc that would be a good.
Helpful - 0
I may not be the best person to help you here, you might want to look up stages of Ovarian cancer on another website.I figured out mine by the things that were removed from my surgery and from what my family was told. I am not the biggest information puller from Drs. I have noticed in three years now of going through this I can learn just as much on the internet. Though whenever I do ask a question they do answer. I think that I truly do not want to know the full spectre of it all. Anyway they were able to get 90% percent out during surgery. I may sound a little silly but we all have our quirks! Good lucik
Helpful - 0
Kathy-o I'm read that you were diagnosed in stage III? I had a us that detected a complex cyst on each ovary. My Dr. is not very informative. She seems to think there is no prob. I have a follow up ultrasound for feb 14. My question is how do you know what stage you are in. is it better if they are inside the ovary or out (like mine)?? I'm really scared, my mom died of ovarian cancer when she was 49.
Helpful - 0
I do not like that your ca-125 is 68 and they are at least not considering oc. Mine  was at 40 at my first reoccurence and I had two enlarged lymp nodes and a 1 centimeter spot. I do know that this test can be inaccurate but why take a chance. When I was first diagnosed in stage111 my ca-125 was 440. I went to drs like you are and was told several things were wrong but cancer was never mentioned, until I finally crawled to the er and it all came out! maybe try to get a second opinion! Your plight may very well not be cancer but I am concerned for you. Frustration is a horrible thing to go through. Good luck and god bless!~!!!
Helpful - 0
As a follow up, I'm 29 years old and we don't have kids yet (we had been trying for 6 months and I went in for irregular cycles).
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.