Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

would love an opinion about ultrasound showing septated complex cyst

I've been reading on here trying to get an idea of what to expect.  You all seem so helpful. I was just hping to see if any one would begin to have any idea...   I am 32.  In the last 6 years I've had 3 dermoid cysts, 2 removed by lapraoscopy and 1 by lapraotomy.   They've been doing an ultrasound at my 1 year check ups.  I just had my last check up and during an ultrasound (by the doctor, not a radiologist) my left ovary has a septated complex cyst.  He told me he doesn't think it would be a dermoid that it looks different then that but to come back next month and they would do another ultrasound.  Like always, I hardly asked any questions at all but now wish I would have.  From what I read on here being septated just means seperate compartments, does that make it more so that it won't go away on it's own.  But since it's a complex cyst is it still possible that it will go away on its own?  Also on the ultrasound he showed me where there looks like white lines going through it all, kind of like a zig zag, he pointed them out to me but now I don't really know what he said about it.. Does those lines mean anything?  Can a complex cyst still be a cyst that comes and goes each month?  I'm sure it's all no big deal, but since it seems different this time I just hate the waiting part to find out for sure.  Sorry to be so long but thanks for reading.  One more thing if you don't mind,  it is very uncommon for someone in the 30's without a history in the family of ovarian cancer to have cancer right?   :-)
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The zigzags are most likely the septations or walls in the cyst. Depending on how big the cyst is, you could be experiencing back ache with it.  Keep in mind that ovaries are walnut sized or smaller and fit nicely into their snug place as it is.  If you start adding size to them, then it shifts everything a little and could cause back pressure.
Helpful - 0
Thank you ALL for your responses!  I don't know the size, he told me when I saw him by showing me the size with his fingers which would seem to be maybe an inch if that, but the actual size I don't know.  I may be way off.  He told me not to worry about it at all but then he also talked about cancer a little bit which after I left made me wonder.  I feel good.  I don't feel any thing from it, except maybe some back aches that are pretty regular but I always blammed that on playing with my kids.  Can a cyst cause back aches?  It's not a true back ache like it's hurting, it's more of a restless feeling.  But I never told my doctor about it, didn't think it could be related at the time.  I guess I just wasn't prepared to find anything because the doctors always made me feel that there is no way I'd ever get another dermoid cyst, that 2 was unlikely and 3 was pretty much unheard of.  I really thought that would be the end of it.  I'm sure I have nothing to worry about it, I just hate the waiting.  I feel so dumb because I really didn't ask any questions at the time.  Just wondering though, would the white zigzag lines I saw, is that what shows that it's septated? Do you know what the chances are that a complex cyst go away on its own?  Thanks again!!!!!
Helpful - 0
I suspect that since you have (1) a history of cysts, and (2) a history of surgeries, your doctor wishes to see if the cyst will indeed resolve on its own before subjecting you to yet another surgery.  If the next month's ultrasound indicates that the cyst has shrunk but is still there, then do not be surprised if the doctor asks you to return the following month for yet another ultrasound.  Complex cysts are less likely to resolve on their own, but it can and does happen.  Your doctor obviously did not see any of the signs more indicative of cancer in your cyst - symmptoms such as solid components or thick cyst walls - and this is good news for you.

The CA-125 is not reliable in that it is prone to giving false positive results in pre-menopausal women.  Also, not all ovarian cancers secrete the antigen, so the test is not useful in those cases anyway.  For most younger women, the test is sometimes used just prior to surgery in the event that cancer is found, then the doctor will have a baseline result by which to measure treatment success.

Helpful - 0
Thank you for your reponse!!!  From what I understand then a complex cyst won't just go away on its own but then why would my doctor want to wait and redo an ultrasound?  This is only my 2nd time seeing this doctor and he seems great, but he didn't mention doing a ca-125 test.  does that sound odd to you?  Sorry for all the questions.  I'm just trying to figure it out when I know I'm just going to have to wait it out.  Thanks again.
Helpful - 0
a complex cyst from my knowledge is not the sae as the ones yu get every month..i believe those ones are called follicor(sp) cyst,complex cysts,have solid and liquid compoents in it,and usually requires surgical intervention to be tested...while a complex cyst is more indicative of cancer..the chance of it actually being cancerous is very slim..i hope this helps you...sonie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.