Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

mickivicki or ravenlady or kathy0 can you explain this to me.........

Ok ,after my surgery she told me that i had endometriomas on both sides and i got my report today and it does not say anything about endometriomas..She said that she did not do the frozen section because there was no signs of cancer or anything being complex.Well this is what my report says:::::Postoperative diagnosis:::Complex cyst on left ovary.. Right ovary is normal with a right peritubal cyst..Dense adhesions noted throughout the pelvis involving the peritoneum,ovaries,small bowel,bladder,and omentum,and both tubes...and now they say that the path report will be back in 3 weeks reporting if there is cancer or not ,and if there is i will have to have another surgery for debulking....I dont get it ,she said before the surgery that if either one of them were complex they were going to do the frozen section and she didnt...Im not going through another surgery....And they werent endometriomas...So now what ...I am totally confused..Do they have the right to take a chance with a persons life without their permission..This is crazy..I was in a good mood despite the pain and persistent urinating and diareah.....Mickie please explain this to me...They removed both ovaries and tubes and everything else they could find.....
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I don't think that you need anyone to explain anything to you - the doctor did not do in surgery what she told you prior to surgery that she would do.  However, I do not think that it is time to panic. It appears to me that she found adhesions from prior surgeries and endometriosis, and made her conclusion based on those observations.  Your right ovary is normal, and there was a cyst along the fallopian tube, as well as a complex cyst on the left ovary.  If the cyst on the left ovary was an endometrioma, then it was obvious what it was from looking at it - I saw the photos of mine.    There is a reason they call those things  "chocolate cysts"! Also, the adhesions from surgical scarring or endometriosis do not look the same as cancerous tissue or growths.  I saw those in my photos as well, and they look like layered dark tissues, that become more or less dark red based on whether they are still active implants and the time of month (whether those active endometrial implants are swelling with blood or not.)

Yes, it is true that the pathologist might find cancerous cells, that could happen to any of us,  but you have to remember that these oncological surgeons see cancers in surgery every day.  Generally, if the cancer is evident outside of the original growth, then they notice it.  Also, you had to wait, and wait, and wait, for your surgery date, and I am sure that this fact, along with opportunities for any cancer to grow, was considered during the surgery. And, if any cancer is found, say perhaps inside an ovary or deep inside the endometrioma, then it could be a stage 1 - in which case you should not need any further surgery, or other treatment.

Last but not least, this is about the right time after your surgery for panic, fear, and depression to set in.  The same darned thing happened to me last year.
Helpful - 0
Im so sorry for whining again but i am doing alot of that here lately...I feel like i am going crazy...I am hurting and just seemed to get aggrivated at the least little things..But three weeks...the wait is gonna kill me..
Helpful - 0
Im so sorry for whining again but i am doing alot of that here lately...I feel like i am going crazy...I am hurting and just seemed to get aggrivated at the least little things..But three weeks...the wait is gonna kill me..Oh and there was not an oncologist in there..The only people that was in there was the surgeon and her assistant which is a med student resident or something like that..They did even bring in the oncologist...
Helpful - 0
Yes, Louella, your lack of hormones is getting to you!  That, and the general frustration of trying to recover from a major surgery.  Seriously, I am sure that you have seen skin cancers on people, those patches of skin that just isn't right, and the dermotologist burns, freezes, or carves it away. Well, it is my understanding that cancerous tissue in the abdomen, especially on the omentum or colon or even the uterus, is obvious as the cancerous growth looks so different.  

Prior to my surgery, my doctor explained her process to me.   She said that after she gets inside the abdomen, the first thing she does in any surgery is look for suspicious tissues or growths.  

I cannot recall what imaging you had over all those months prior to your surgery?  X-rays?  CT?  Ultrasounds?   Did anyone note any massive changes?  Was there anything on those images that made any doctor tell you that he or she believed it to be cancer, or  was it just that solid mass on the ovary that had anyone concerned?
Helpful - 0
And, Louella, don't worry about whining.  I would not be logging on to this site, and reading your posts, if I did not care.  Just concentrate on getting well.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.