Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

septated ovarian cyst, abdominal pain on opposite side

I've just been diagnosed with a small (1.5cm diametre) cyst on my right side, but the doctor is doing follow up in 2 months because it is septated down the middle. There are only 2 distinct parts to it, so it's not looking too bad, but considering how small and insignificant it's being made out to be I'm wondering if I should check to see if my symptoms might be related to something else.

In particular I sometimes get sharp abdominal pain on my left side, even though the cyst is on the right. Could this still be related to the cyst?

Other symptoms I'm having include frequent headaches, frequent urination, constipation, & pain during intercourse (this too I thought would be on the left rather than right side...).
The urination is touchy, because I think it's because I can't fully empty my bladder, so I technically always have to pee... the lady doing my ultrasound said my bladder still looked pretty full after I tried to empty it :x.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i am 22 yrs old and i have currenty been diagnosed with a cyst on my left ovary and a septated uterus. I am not sure of the questions i should be asking my doctors. Could someone help me. This is my 1st pregnancy and i'm 5 weeks.
Helpful - 0
That explains a lot. Thanks again :D
Helpful - 0
sjmartin: It does kind of sound like a UTI. I briefly mentioned my urination problems to the doctor, while getting swabs done, but she didn't say much at all about it. At the time we thought I had a yeast infection, which I didn't. Itchiness and discharge went away on their own... they couldn't be connected to a urinary infection of some kind, though, could they?

MickeyVicky: Thanks for sharing your account. I'd rather think that the pain is related to my cyst than something I don't know about yet.
As for anything else I've been diagnosed with before... I'm only 19, so this is the first time I've had any problems like this. Polyps and things like that would show up on the intravaginal ultrasound I just had, right?
In any case I will go back to my doctor and focus more on the urinary part of the problem instead of just waiting my 2 months to see if my cyst has changed at all.
Helpful - 0
I had  the same "itchiness and discharge" during my cyst problem.  A cyst disrupts the normal hormone production, which can cause changes in the 'body chemistry' so to speak.  In fact, I have more cysts now, on my remaining ovary, and am currently suffering from what would on the surface appear to be a yeast infection, but is not.
Helpful - 0
I had a similar situation in 2004.  I had symptoms that included the headaches, discomfort in my right side,  more frequent urination, "gas pains", as well as bloating and irregular menstrual cycles.  I went to my doctor, expecting to be diagnosed with  a cyst or tumor on my right ovary, as that is where I felt that I had a problem.  I was very surprised to learn that my cyst was on the left ovary.  When a patient feels pain in an area other than the location of the disease, doctors call it  "referred pain."

Have you ever been diagnosed with a kidney stone, uterine polyp, fibroid, or perhaps even endometriosis - anything that might be placing pressure  in or on your bladder or urethra that would prevent the complete emptying of your bladder?
Helpful - 0
Hmmm....that's strange. That sounds more like a UTI. What did the doctor say about it?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.