Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Question for MickeyVicki

Since my surgery is supposed to be the four-incision lap like yours, I am curious how long your hospital stay was.  Thanks!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I stayed overnight and much of the next day.  

My surgery was the first of the day for my doctor, so I was arrived at the hospital before the sun rose that morning.  My surgery took longer than expected due to the endometriosis, so I was not out of surgery, though the recovery room, and into my hospital room until lunchtime.  As required by my doctor, I remained overnight.  (You might have read my other post about the blood vessel supplying the ovary being a branch directly off the main artery through the body.  It has a high blood pressure, so to speak, and every two hours or less, the hospital staff will check your blood pressure to be certain there is no leak in your abdomen.)  I also had a slightly abnormal result from my pre-op blood test, so my doctor set up an ultrasound to check my gallbladder the next day.  After that ultrasound, I was unhooked from the IV and the catheter, and released, but only after a long-winded 'sermon' on post-op care and medication from the head nurse.  That 'sermon' was the worst part of the whole experience for me, in a mental sense.  I was ready to roll, but due to liability issues, the hospital staff had to make me listen to all of it.  As I work in a medically-related-in-a-way field (personal care), I  already knew all of that information.  It was only the billionth time I've heard it.

Also, it seems that most everyone these days is wearing those 'air-cuff' pressured  leg massagers when they wake up from surgery.  The pressure and massaging action reduces the chances of getting blood clots.  But, darn it, they insulated the legs and made me hot.

Helpful - 0
My surgery is also the first one that day(be there at 6:15). My ears picked up when I read your earlier post explaining the need for at least an overnight evaluation because of the ovary/blood vessel connection. My doctor insists that even with ovary removal, I would be able to go home the same day.  That makes me feel very uncomfortable, especially since I live 75 miles away should something arise and I need to get back to the hospital. That, along with the news at the pre-op appointment that no matter what is/is not found, I would only be having the cyst/ovary removal at this time has left me wondering if I am indeed doing the right thing.  Maybe these are just "last-minute" doubts.  In any case, thanks to you and the other remarkable ladies on this forum for always being here for us to glean information and support from, you are truly blessings!
Helpful - 0
Not all doctors require their patients to remain overnight.  The woman posting on this forum who gave me the most insight into what to expect from surgery was told to stay overnight.  However, she had the roommate from "Hades," and it was so bad that her doctor consented to let her leave, around midnight, I seem to recall!  I know that other women seemed surprised that she and I were asked to remain overnight, as they were not asked to do so.

How soon after surgery will you "asked" to leave?  Have  you considered a night in a hotel closer to the hospital, just in case? It might make you feel more comfortable in the emotional/mental department if your doctor will not keep you overnight.  Also, I had about an eight mile drive home from the hospital here, and that was more than enough for me.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.