Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

complex cyst and your thoughts?

I have been diagnosed with a complex cyst on my right ovary -- I know nothing about it, size, etc.  However, the U/S tech just squealed that it hadn't changed in size -- from 6 weeks prior and that that was not good. The doc says he doesn't think it is cancer - however, I know they don't know until they remove it.  Of course, all the "diagnoses" made by the tech are what still rings in my ears...  I had my left ovary removed in 1999 along with a huge "chocolate" cyst.  Apparently I was full of endometriosis and didn't know it.  I'm hoping that this "complex" cyst is yet another endometrioma, but is so gelatinous that it is endo related?  My surgery is scheduled for 2/6 and I've been having "twinges" of pain in my right ovary.  Should I be concerned? or is this due to the fact that I have been having my period this week?
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I was just told that I had a complex cystic structure on my left ovary.  It now measures 8.6 x 4.5 and this is 3 times the size it was last Feb 2005 so now I am awaiting a date for surgery to have a hysterectomy.  I am worried that they might find cancer.  My gyn does not think there is any cancer from the ultrasound report but she is suggesting surgery.  There are 4 separate cysts within the left ovary.  The US doc says she can't exclude a serous cyst adenoma or a serous cyst adenocarcinoma is anyone else familiar with these terms.
Helpful - 0
I guess that is a question I have to ask. I see GYN Wed. regarding what radiologist called "simple cyst" I thought that didn't sound too bad other than the fact that I shouldn't have it since I am post menapausal. Now I am reading that they have to be removed also so I am really confused. Don't know what to hope for other than it is benign. Because of age and breathing problems I was hoping somehow to avoid surgery. doesn't sound like it.
Helpful - 0
I have no idea -- when she told me it hadn't changed, she said that is not good-- I thought that WAS good.  The reason I had to have surgery last time is because it was growing -- however, that was a simple cyst, and this one is complex..
Helpful - 0
I am somewhat confused. Why is it bad when it doesn't change size? I would think it was better if it did not grow. Someone please enlighten me. Thanks.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Believe me, these techs say things that just scare us.  Mine had me convinced I had ovca!  She said things like this is not right, shouldn't be THAT big etc!!!  My dr. is so upset with them that he is not sending any more patients to that radiology center!
Tascha
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your comments!  I don't have another appt until my surgery on 2/6.  I do trust him as a doc and have been seeing him for 21 yrs.  This is the first time a tech was so outspoken about results (unsolicited) -- and trust me, I have asked others before and they won't tell me anything.  I'm probably upset because it was something I didn't want to hear...
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I believe that your dr. knows best.  The techs don't always know and can sometimes say the wrong thing!!  The tech who did my us said some really scary things and my dr. assured me that he didn't think it was cancer.  The dr. was right (I had 2 lg dermoids)  When is your next appt. with your dr.?  Make sure you write down all of the questions that you want to ask, even the silly ones.  Take care.
Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.