Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pet Scan

I have bilateral complex cysts with a complex mass.  I am in the six week wait and see period so I have a few questions.  First, I have a ct scan next week for my annual follow up for thyroid cancer.  Would this show anything on my ovary?  It is a full body iodine contrast scan.  Also, I was wondering about a PET scan?  Would that show anything?
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It is mainly used as a staging tool for known cancers.  It can show metastisized areas before anything else can pick them up.  They are very expensive and I truly do not know if they can tell for sure if a cyst is cancerous.  The only way to know that as a positive is if you have pathology ran on it.  I lnow when a nodule showed on my mothers lung the radiologists recommended a PET/CT or CT scn to further  evaluate it.  He said the PET would let him know malignancy easier than just the CT.. But, her primary care physician did the CT first and it turned out ot be okay.
Helpful - 0
Would a PET scan be able to tell if a cyst was cancerous? It would seem that if it could it would save a lot of unecessary cutting. Frankly I would rather pay for a PET scan myself than go thru a surgery at my age and being alone.
Helpful - 0
Pet uses a sugar and cancerous areas absorb the sugar and show as a highlighted area.  A CT uses an iodinated contrast(non-radition)to highlight blood vessels and the Ct takes slices thru the body.  A Pet CT incorporates both without iodine.
Helpful - 0
Aren't a PET scan and a CT scan different in that one uses isoptopes and one iodine contrast? I just had a abdominal and pelvic CT scan with contrast and it showed cyst..I know PET scans are much more expensive and not done everywhere.
Helpful - 0
I have to have the ct scan for my thyroid cancer but as a seperate issue I was wondering if PET scans are useful when you have a mass and want to know if it could cancer.
Helpful - 0
It sounds like you are having a PET/CT scan where they use the radioisotope and do a full body CT scan,t oo.  Yes, a CT will show your ovaries if they are scanning  thru your pelvis, too.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.