Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

when to remove septated ovarian cyst

On a routine sonogram in December 05 they found a small less than 2cm cyst on the left ovary.The gyn said check it again in Feb or March.  

But then during my yearly check up this week (Jan 24), the gyn did a sonogram in her office and found that it was now close to 3cm and septated, plus I have another simple cyst on the right.I had a CT scan and all organs are clear except for the 2 cysts and a fibroid from years ago.I am due to get my period in 2 days--so all this recent testing was the week before my period.

In 2005 I started getting these routine sonograms 2x a year because my maternal grandmother died of stomach cancer in her early 50s and my mother doesn't know where it may have started.I'm 48.Also,I have 10 yr old twin daughters concieved via insemination and 2 cycles of metrodin--if that matters.

The gyn recommends laproscopy as the preferred option--probably the wk of 2/6.She also recommended seeing a gyn oncologist prior to deciding the next step.  

My father-in-law is taking us to Sun Valley for Presidents Week.It's an unusual family event.We hardly see them and also we would never go on this kind of trip on our own.  The gyn says that after the procedure I can go on the trip--but no skiing.Or she said we can schedule the procedure for the week of March 1 and the cyst may even be gone by then.    

If this turns out to be cancer, will the cancer be less treatable in a month? Am I frightening myself into rushing into a procedure that may turn out to be unneccessary? What is laproscopy like?How long will it really take before I can exercise again?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had the laparoscopic removal of a large cyst (endometrioma) as well as the ovary and fallopian tube affected by the cyst.  I felt soreness upon moving for the first week, and the surgery/swelling made some positions for sitting and lying down uncomfortable. Bending over was basically impossible.

I was well enough to begin driving myself places, attending meetings, going to dinner, etc, two weeks after the surgery.  However, I am known for having a high pain tolerance, or perhaps it is just my intolerance for sitting around while life is passing me by!  There are some women posting on this forum who seem to experience debillitating pain from the surgery.

Helpful - 0
Thanks for the feedback.  This makes me think it may be safer to wait until after the trip because maybe I don't want to be so far from home right after the procedure.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.