Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Okay ladies I have yet another personal question

I confirmed this weekend what I thought had been going on for a while.  I am experiencing nipple discharge.  My docotr had me do a screening mammogram in AUg(I am 31) because my mothers breast cancer was at age 44.  It was normal.  So I feel this is truly hormonal and my questionis "Has anyone else experiencewd this and what was the cause?"  If I take this to my doctor,he will fly head over heels and possibly order another mammo and tons of lab work.  The labs would not be so bad because I am scheduled to have blood drawn next Monday anyway(pre-op stuff).  The mammo though would be complete overkill. While it is not unheard of to have something crop up in a short amount of time, the chances of it are slim.  If anyone can confirm having this and it was hormonal, I will relax., Otherwise, I guess I will leave a phone message for my doctor to get in touvch with me.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
xray2u, Good morning! Hey personal questions are what GIRLFRIENDS are here for. In my personal experience, I don't think nipple discharge is normal unless you are lactating. Mammograms are great but they don't always show everything. Call your doctor PRONTO! So what if he goes head over heels. That is the sign of a good, caring and consiensious doctor. Don't wait, PLEASE....
Helpful - 0
Nipple discharge is never normla unless you are pergnant or lactating.
It could be a sign of something hormonal, but it warrants investigation...

He could probably just do some endochrine lab work.
Have you had a sonogram of your breasts?

Let us know what happens.

Jane
Helpful - 0
What about having a breast US?   I don't think you should wait.
Helpful - 0
Hey!I spoke with my doctor and he is ordering a TSH and Prolactin to be done this afternoon.  I had to pick my oldest up from school because someone broke her tooth off trying to get a bottle out of her mouth, so it will be later before I can get to the lab.  He said it had to be done before my surgery without preop labs.  He said if my Prolactin is high, then he is going to order a MRI of my head to evaluate my pituitary gland for an adenoma.
Helpful - 0
Before you worry yourself, remember that prolactins can be produced by the body in response to...yes, you guessed it : cysts on the ovaries.   My breasts did swell some, but I did not have discharge.  Breast swelling and tenderness was one of my milder symptoms when I went through all this before. While you definitely need to have all these options checked, it might still be that you are just still suffering from those pesky cysts/solids/whatever the heck they were, and the fluid they left behind when they...when they...when they did whatever they did (burst? vanish?  I don't recall.)
Helpful - 0
Thanks!  You always make me smile.  I tend to tell people they leaked-because i felt no rupture.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.