Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

home and having trouble

just had surgery last wednesday. had bilateral salpingo-oopherectomy with lyssis iof adhesions to the bowel and surrounding are. my ? is I still do not have an apetitie and I am unable to go to the bathroom. Is this sound ok.I mean number 2 not muber one.......
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
Same thing happened to me while on the pain meds.  Of course, not going for a week was a blessing in disguise, since I think it would have hurt way too much!  But then the reverse happened since I got the flu and couldn't stop.  But as with all things, this too shall pass (pun intended:-)).  Take care and if it continues, do call your dr.  Take care girl!!
Tascha
Helpful - 0
Toni, one of the side effects of pain medication is constipation.  Mild laxatives will help; so will taking fiber supplements.  Eating a more liquid diet ( soups, jell-o ) for a few days will help too.

It seems a lot of women posting on this site are having this same problem.  Really makes me appreciate my doctor.  I was advised about all these things prior to my surgery.  I was stocked up on laxatives, fiber, non-prescription anti-inflammatory pain relievers, cough medicines,   extra pillows, a stack of new sweat pants, soups and broths and jell-o... and other than the upper respiratory infection that I developed a few weeks later, I did not need anything but those sweat pants.
Helpful - 0
I had surgery last wed as well hys , tubes and ovaries and knowing that i do have trouble with constipation myself i went to the chemist and got coloxyl with senna over the counter this is just a mild laxitive with a softener in it  give it a try it worked for me
Helpful - 0
They told me to take colace in case i got home and could not go,which i dont have that problem,mine is that i cant quit going...But i know that after my last surgery(removal of uterus and cervix)they gave me milk of magnesia and it did the trick...You can take a mild laxative after your surgery..try the milk of magnesia...wish you well...lou
Helpful - 0
The point about pain meds causing constipation is something I can attest to.  After thyroid surgery last year and then a breast lump removed three days later I had a serious bout of constipation.  I ended up with my 21 year old son taking me to the ER in the middle of the night I was in so much pain from the constipation.  I thought i had an impacted bowel - I guess I pretty much did.  But the thing is that the anesthesia paralysis the bowel and then the pain meds kind of keep it from restarting in some cases.  The gave me TWO enemas in the ER.  My poor son was just waiting outside thinking "I always knew my mom was full of sh--.   Get on a mild laxative and/or some fiber therapy and ask your doctor about an enema.  Don't let it go as long as I did.
Helpful - 0
hey there dear....i would call your doc,i would have thought by now,you would be able to use the bathroom#2.the appitite thing i cant help you with,cause i havent eatten since friday myself..but i do know,that the pain meds can make you have no appitite and make you sick to your stomache,and they can also make you constipated,but i would still call your doc asap,he can order you a stoll softner or something....sonie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.