Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

10 cm complex cyst and scared

i was diagnosed 2 days ago with a 10 cm complex cyst after one episode of cramping. I'm fortunate enough to work in a cancer center with access to an ultrasound tech who insisted having a look. It probably saved my life. The cyst has a 3x3x3 cm solid component and is septated. I'm 42 and terrified waiting for the results of CA125 test which won't be back until Monday. I'm having a CT scan this afternoon to look for fluid and lymph node enhancements. I'm just so scared. I saw my family doctor late Tusday night, she paged the OB/GYN on call stat, they ordered another U/S yesterday morning. The radiologist came in during the scan and looked around everywhere else and said a good sign is that he saw no ascites anywhere outside of the immediate area around the mass. I saw the OB/Gyn this morning and apparently everything hinges on the results of the CA125 and the CT scan. I want it all out and I want it all out now. I'm a radiation therapist and I'm much more afraid of cancer than I am of losing my uterus and ovaries. I just want to know if it's cancer. In addition, they've told me if this thing ruptures I could possibly bleed to death within minutes. I can't get into surgury soon enough! But they won't do surgery until they feel confident that it's probably not cancer because they don't want to spread it everywhere if it is.also, I have always been pretty slim, but over the last year have gained 10lbs right in my gut. I work out alot and diet, but this 10lbponch won't go away. Is there any chance it could be related to the 10cm mass even if it were benign?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had bilateral complex cysts that "leaked" I had no real pain but the cysts had been followed for about 6mths and then the fluid leaked into my cul de sac and it is still there.  I had one with a 1cm solid  component and the cyst was 5.5cm and the right was debris filled 7.7cm.  See a gyn/onc for your surgical options.  Mine had scheduled for hysterectomy but decided diag lap was next best option when they had ruptured.  I will be having it done in a week.
Helpful - 0
Yes, I developed a large complex cyst with solid components over a year ago.  It was only 6 cm by 5 cm by ? when it was diagnosed by the ultrasound; still, I had gone up 2  sizes of jeans prior to its discovery. My abdomen was obviously swelling.  My cyst was an endometrioma that grew to nearly 15 cm by the time it was removed several weeks after the ultrasound.

Also, please do consider that the CA-125 test results might not be very applicable to your case.  The test is unreliable for pre-menopausal women, and other conditions such as endometriosis and infections can affect the result.   Last but not least, some ovarian cancers do not secret the antigen, and the test will not assist in those cases.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.