Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Initial appt. this Friday, what tests should I ask for?

Hi everyone. I finally got up the nerve and made an appointment with my ob/gyn. I have been having the cramping and pain in my lower right side and lower right back for ahile. I have asked this before, but should I insist on both a regular ultrasound and a vaginal one? I know I should have a pelvic exam, but what about a blood test? Do they usually only do that after they have a suspicion of OVCA? Anything else I should ask for test-wise? Thanks!
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Where I live they will not do a Vaginal until they try to do the other one first. I have no idea why. In June I told them I could not hold that much water so they after much discussion did the vaginal and found nothing. Now the CT scan shows the cyst is still there so going in for another but the new ultrasound only requires 16 oz of  water to hold not 32oz so my Dr. wrote Ultrasound on slip, Transvaginal as necessary. No way could i hold that much water. I hope they find mine this time as it obviously didn't go away. Doctor feels nothing either. Good luck to you. All this is necessary and not very difficult.
Helpful - 0
Hi,  They will probably do both US.  pelvic and transvaginal and they are both important.  Mine took less than a few minutes with the full bladder.  You should be OK, it is alot of water but not ALL of it will end up in your bladder rightaway.  

You could ask for a CBC (blood count) to see if you've got anemia, possibly from bleeding. You could also ask for a CMP, to test your basic kidney and liver funtion. They will probably not order a CA125 unless they find a mass.  But, some tests can be added on for up to a week after your first blood was taken.  That way you would not have to go in twice.  

You're at the right place.
Helpful - 0
Most good u/s techs will do a vaginal u/s if a pelvic is ordered.  Ask the question to the tech and they will feel obligated to do it-as they should.
Helpful - 0
I do not recall all of your posts or what you symptoms and concers  are.  However, I can offer a few tips.   The doctor is likely to ask  about these things, so if you have it written then you will be prepared.

When you go, take a list of your monthly cycles for  these past months during which you have experienced the discomfort.  By "a list" I simply mean to write down the month, date of the month that you started your monthly cycle (the date that you started your period), and count how many days your cycle lasted from start to finish (in other words, from the start of menstruation one month to the next start of menstruation.)

Also, if you can remember certain dates when the pain was worse, ad this information with the list you created.  You can ad other information such as remembering very heavy or very light menstrual flow.  

By having this information, the doctor might get a better idea of what could be going on with your monthly cycles, even if the ultrasound returns clear.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.