Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

No cancer cells present in ascites - I don't understand

Last week, my mom's new oncologist tested her ascites, hoping to make a "vaccine" to slow down the growth of the cancer.  He got the results today, and he says there's no cancer present in the ascites, and yet she DOES have tumors!  Why is that??  She has to get drained again (already!) tomorrow, and the doctor will test the ascites again, and see if there are any cancer cells present.  Maybe the results were  wrong.

The doctor also said that my mom's cancer is estrogen-based.  My mom is still producing estrogen (she's been through menopause years ago) and that's making the cancer grow.  He's going to give a her a pill to slow down the estrogen growth.  

Now this is what's really bothering my mom:  her PREVIOUS oncologist who took care of her from Aug. 2005 - Dec. 2005 was giving her three doses of very strong chemotherapy combined--and TWO OUT OF THE THREE WERE EXTREMELY RESISTENT, AND HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!!!!!  He must have read the chart wrong.  This  new oncologist caught that.   My mom is FURIOUS.  And rightfully so.  Hopefully, he'll be coming up with a chemo treatment that he knows WILL NOT be resistent.  Keep your fingers crossed.  

But someone PLEASE TRY to answer my question about the ascites--if my mom has ovarian cancer, why aren't there any cancer cells present in the ascites?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
its a good thing there aren't cancer cells in the acsites.  if there were cells present, it would mean the cells have a greater chance to spread elsewhere in the body, but in particular in the abdomen.

estrogen is also produced in fat cells.  so if your mother is overweight, she should drop weight to decrease her estrogen levels.  of course, no hormone therapy as that would just increase her estrogen levels.

ktwice
Helpful - 0
Ohh! You are right Mickey, but that's a really scary thought. That we are all just lab rats to them to experiment on until they figure it all out. That freaks me out. Thank God there are some really good ones out there.

Mir
Helpful - 0
Christine, the fact that there are not malignant cells in the ascites is good news.  Yes, it is very common for the ascites to contain the malignant cells, and such cancer cells in the ascites can further the spread of the disease, and at  a quicker rate.

However,  you have to remember that ascites is usually caused  by the pressure of the tumors on the tissues and organs of the body,  thus causing the body to be unable to properly process excess water.  This is a common problem where tumors or large cysts have been putting pressure on the kidneys, or when the cancer has spread to the liver, which also assists the body in processing wastes.   I suppose one way to view your mother's condition is to think of the fluid in your mother's abdomen as a "side effect" of the disease, not a part of the disease.

Christine, I think that your mother has a good doctor helping her in this fight.  He not only is paying close attention to her case, but he seems willing to be creative in looking for alternate ways of fighting her cancer - not just the stock chemotherapies sitting on a shelf.  Yes, this use of "hormone therapy" is one of the new techniques that I mentioned in an older post to you.

As for the other doctor...  it is not uncommon for doctors to be inept and that is perhaps why they like to call medicine a practice.   They just keep practicing until they get it right?
Helpful - 0
From what I have seen, fluid often accumulates around a tumor but it is not necessarily fluid from the tumor.  It sounds like the new doc is more in tune to things , so hopefully things will begin to go a little smoother.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.