Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Recurrent Ovarian Cancer - Prognosis

My 62 yr. old mom has been fighting OC since December 2002. They removed ovaries and omentum, and did 1st Line Chemo Treatment for 8 months. Did second look surgery and said everything looked good.  Sept. 2004 an inoperable mass was found in pelvic region. Stints were put in to protect kidneys, 6 months more chemo to shrink mass. Mass was shrunk and told to come back in 3 months. Check up in 3 months showed the mass was large again and try a new chemo...6 more months of chemo CT showed mass did not shrink and spot on right lung but body needed break from chemo. Several tranfusions have been given in the last 6 months and constantly have bladder infections.

2 wks ago she began bleeding from the vagina and ER doctor immediately called oncologist who stated she was more than likey bleeding from the mass. She will have another CT scan and will see oncologist on Feb 15.

These last 2 weeks have been a living hell for her. Low ache, menstrual like pain and shooting pain in rectum.

My mom and I are very close. Not only mother and daughter but we are best friends.  I go with her to all her appointments and I feel that they are evasive on alot of my questions.  I have research much about this disease and I feel that as a realist needs to prepare my mom for what can be expected.  She has had quantity of life but only maybe 7 months of quality, because of sickness from chemo and surgerys. Quantity vs Quality of Life has never been discussed to us by oncologist.

I would very much like your honest prognosis regarding my mom, She deserves "Quality of Life".
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank You so much for all your comments.....Please keep my mom (Connie)and myself(Davina)in your prayers.  We have discussed Quality VS Quantity very little, I am afraid she'll think I've given up on her. I have told her that she has been more of a fighter than I could ever hope to be.  She has always been the strength in our family.  I don't ever want for her to think that I have lost hope, but I'm really scared that she isn't really prepared for the reality of this disease.  She's a firm believer that if you do everything the doctor suggests and keep Faith in God she will beat this disease.  I Love her so much and hate to see here suffer so badly.

Wednesday she has CT scan, Chest X Ray and then we see the Head of the Oncology Dept.(This is a new appointment they just gave her.)

Does anyone have suggestions on how I approach this subject.  I am an emotional wreck, and I need to keep it together for her.

Helpful - 0
I am so sorry for what you are going through.  Watching your parents suffer is so hard - especially when you are as close as the two of you seem to be.  Your mother is so blessed to have you.  The love and support I get from my three sons does more for me than anything.  Keep it flowing.  I agree that you should talk openly with your mom about how she feels and how long she wants to continue to fight.  She is really young - but on the other hand - she may be ready to head for a better place.  She may be waiting for you to be ready for that as well.  It will be important for her to know that you will be ok with whatever she decides.  Would you mind sharing her and your first name so I came pray for you both by name - though He always knows who I mean - it just helps me~  God bless you and keep you strong.
Helpful - 0
Have you and your mother had a discussion about how she feels, and if she is tired of fighting what sadly appears to be a losing battle?  Most oncologists will continue to assist a patient in fighting a disease as long as they have options with surgery or chemotherapy or radiation, and only when they run out of options will they then discuss 'end game' issues with the patient.  The only advice that I can offer is to be very specific in your questions to the doctor in the appointment this week.  If the doctor understands that you and your mother have discussed these "quality and quantity" issues (assuming that you have had these discussions) then perhaps the doctor will have a real talk with you about to what to expect.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I do not have any answers for you, but you and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers.  Stay strong and keep the faith.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.