Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Home last night - Borderline cancer survivor :-D

Good morning all you wonderful people!  I underwent my surgery last Wednesday - complete hysterectomy, omentumectomy (sp?) apendectomy and removal of all lymph nodes in the abdomen - don't know what that's called.   I don't have a copy of the pathlogy report yet so I don't have detail, however, my tumor ended up being the size of a soccer ball and on Friday we found out it was 'borderline, Stage 1' and I will not need to undergo any chemo or radiation.

I'm so grateful to everyone here who helped me cope with this rollercoaster ride and gave me all your support and prayers.   They were truly answered.  We we so convinced that this was going to be so much more advanced, I believe a true miracle has occured for me.  I will continue to pray that a miracle happens for each and every one of you and the women you love.

God Bless and thank you again.

Julie, your newest cheerleader
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
5 weeks ago I developed abdominal pain, UTI test was negative. Ultrasound found a mass in rt pelvic area, MRI showed nothing, second untrasound found nothing.  CT Scan found possible ovarian cancer with carcinamatosis in the omemtum.  Having colonoscopy Tuesday to see if other organ involvement. CA125 was only 223. Thursday am scheduled for complete hysterectomy and omentumectomy with possible additions if colonoscopy is positive for anything. I am 57 and have never had surgery and I am petrified because of the increasing pain in my left side.  I ususally take Celebrex for my arthritis but had to stop 1 week prior to surgery, I hope that is why pain is so much worse these last few days. CT Scan showed all other organs were fine, that is a good sign, but I still can't help worrying.
Helpful - 0
For what I gather, borderline refers to the 'grade' of cancer, and staging refers to how much it's spread (ovaries only, other gyn organs, elsewhere, etc.).  If I'm right about this, borderline is low malignent potential (LMP).  LMP is cancer in abnormality, BUT doesn't metasitize they way higher grades do.  Therefore the treatment is to remove the growth, but not do chemo afteward.  

It can reoccur but 20-30 years later.  Of course for precaution, after removal, one would be watched for a while to make sure it's behaving as expected.  Rarely, but it can happen that LMP changes to or habors regular ov cancer, so it does have to be removed.  Survival rates of LPM are very high at nearly 99% in early stages and still over 80's in later stages (and it keeps saying in later stages that morbitilty isn't from the cancer itself but from complications like bowel obstruction).  The only thing I'm not certain of in my description is whether borderline and LPM are identical.  I've seen them described identically in research papers, but not seen an actual statement that they are.
Cheri
Helpful - 0
That is so good to hear..Take care..

*Tonya*
  TAH/BSO
  02-03-06
Helpful - 0
YES!
Helpful - 0
Congratulations Julie!!!

Help me out here though ladies.  Borderline?  It's not a matter of it is or it isn't?  Pardon my lack of knowledge here, I just wnat to understand what that means.

Again, congratulations, and I truly hope that each one of us can end up with our own miracle and answer to prayer.  Love, hugs and God bless, Barb
Helpful - 0
Congratulations!  Being borderline ovca, does it put you at risk for recurrence or does this type not work that way?
Helpful - 0
I love reading posts like this!  I'm so happy for you!
Helpful - 0
I haven't had my followup with the oncologist yet but I believe recurrence is very unlikely.  He did say they'd follow me closely for 'awhile' just to be sure.

Anyone else know about this?

Julie
Helpful - 0
That, I guess, was my question.  If it recurs then does it become full blown ovca with staging.  like cervical cancer in situ, it can turn into cervical cancer.  All of this gets quite confusing and I am sure quite overwelming to you all that must deal with it daily.  I commend you all!!  I am also gaining knowledge thru this experience.
Helpful - 0
Hi! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Just want to say that my mother had the same thing 5 years ago and no chemo and is great!! Hers went from the size of a lemon to the size of a newborn in 3 weeks!! All is well. Good Luck to you!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
Congratulations!  I bet you sleep much better these days!  
Your news put a smile on my face; and' I can just imagine how big your smile is!  Keep on smiling!
Peace be with you.
dian
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Praise the Lord!!!!!  This is awesome news.  I am so happy for you.  Rah Rah.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.