Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

ob/gyn, gyn or gyn/onc

Can any of you ladies tell me which doctor you are seeing or which you think would be best. A lady I work with says she thinks I should find a regular gyn not an ob/gyn like I have.
After reading a lot of the posts I keep seeing gyn/onc.  She just said that she originally was seeing her ob/gyn but when problems kept arising he referred her to a gyn because he said he basically just dealt with the ob part of it.  Does that sound right??  Just wondering since my ob/gyn didn't seem to concerned to even talk with me directly but on the copies of us reports I finally received it had written "if persists ca 125" by his signature. Nothing was even said to me about that and i only know what it is from seeing it posted on this site.  
Thanks for any insight!
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
MY OB/GYN DETECTED THE OVARIAN MASS BECAME CONCERNED. tHEN ORDERED CA 125 WHICH CAM EBACK NORMAL AND REFERRED ME TO A GYN ONC. HE PERFORMED THE SURGERY REMOVED EVERYTHING MASS WAS BENIGN. PLEASE BE PERSISTENT. IF YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE MAKE YOUR DOCTOR AWARE OF IT. TAKE CARE TONI.............
Helpful - 0
Hi! I think it depends on your relationship with your doctor and your comfort level. I have a very good relationship with all of my doctors and have been a patient of theirs for a long time. I saw a gyn/onc and at the first meeting I was not comfortable with him. Trust your instincts, they speak volumes.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I only saw my gyn.  I ended up with dermoids, but I am sure if it need, he would have brought in an gyn/onc.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
If cancer is suspected, then gyn/onc.  I do not think it makes much differemce between ob/gyn and reg gyn.  The reg gyn chooses not to deliver  babies and in most cases because they do not like the malpractice issues involved with ob.
Helpful - 0
Thanks! I just hope you all know how comforting you make this site. When I cannot sleep because of the pain I will get on this site and such a warm peaceful calm comes over me. The courage and strength I feel from reading your posts is incredible. It is also heartwarming to know we all go thru the same feelings. I just browse and browse thru the archives and soak up all the encouragement. God Bless to all and I have you all in my thoughts and prayers!!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.