Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Sex after a TAH..

ok this may sound very stupid to some..I know you are not allowed to put anything into the vagina for 6wks after surgery.My question is,Can you have an orgasm by other means,before that 6wks is up? I know I am only about 2wks post-op.Can you tell I haven't lost my sex drive..I am not afraid of it hurting.I am afraid of it messing something up.But if nothing goes in there would it be ok??Please don't think I am crazy or stupid for asking this.Just wanted to be sure before me and hubby did anything..Thanks ladies..

*Tonya*
TAH/BSO
02-03-06
13 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I just had my total hysterectomy 6Feb06 they kept me for 2 days,@ the time I thought it was cruel. But there was never any problems with my sex life.(25 years married) Never said no the whole time,at least conscious.I feel so much better after reading this blog. My husband suggested it and at first I was weary but now I feel better. Thanks ladies!It is true that you can have oral sex but at least 4 weeks,then you still get spasms.I did.But I will admit my doctor was right there is nothing wrong with my sex drive! Lol!She told me"Your sex drive is in between your ears!"My hubby has set up a weekend at our timeshare just the two of us.I am anxious and a little scared. I just have one question.Is it harmful if I don't wear a girdle all the time? Could I give my abdomen a rest after 4weeks?You all made me feel so much better thank you so much!:)
Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
Hi, I don't know if anyone will visit this thread and I tried to start a new one, but the limit for "post new questions" had been reached...although this is not a new question, just a response.

I had a total hysterectomy in 2000 (early ovarian cancer)....just thought if there are any more questions, I would be happy to respond concerning the question on orgasms. Did not think I would be typing that word tonight!!!  But, briefly, I will add that thanks to the bioidentical hormones from my compounding pharmacist and doctor, including testosterone, I have managed to go through menopause with my sanity intact(lots of research needed to get through it, but I don't give up easily, and the bio's have been the reason I have made it this far)....but, I especially wanted to mention that after all these years since my surgery, I can say that my orgasms (multiples always) are as good if not sometimes better than before surgery. So, yes, hoping this is helpful and not TMI :) ....my husband is almost 60 and often stressed out, so this is not as frequent as I'd hoped... but it is nice to know that everything works well. Take care, Mary
Helpful - 0
Can't let this one slip past...  Ok.I have the same concerns following a TAH/BSO 8 days ago. I checked out Hyster Sisters website, and they said to let your body know when it's ready, and then only "outercourse" until your post op physical. The reason is vaginal intercourse could tear stitches in the vaginal cuff as well as introduce infection to the area. Oral sex is a bit more acceptable if a mouthwash is used to kill bacteria immediately before and/or a dental dam is used as a barrier. Nothing I saw cautioned against the effects of orgasm. And, if I'm not too bold, I awoke from a "pleasant dream" yesterday having a mild-medium strength orgasm. I felt fine until I developed achiness today in my entire groin area. which I think was due to stretching to put plates away last night. I was glad to see these "brain-centred" orgasms still occur,so gentle loving (kissing, talking,caresses, backrubs, like when you were first togeather with no rush to get to the end) may give you the tension release you seek. At this time it's nice to have your needs gently taken care of, and I'm sure your partner would feel honored just to hold you.

About the Coughing and Sneezing (also belly-laughing): I agree the pressure from those has to be pretty high volocity. I hold an 11 inch square puffy pillow against my stomache and bend into to absorb the shock. Helps a lot, but I sure miss laughing out loud!
Helpful - 0
Okay girls - I thought I was going to pee my panties laughing reading all the comments.  I know this is a serious question, but just the thought of it made my day.  Isn't it great that through all the stress, worry that we are all going through that we can think positive.  To tell you the truth, I plan on telling my hubby that you can't have sex for six months - I used to tell him that you couldn't have sex for a week after your period - he caught on to that one though.  Don't get me wrong - I love sex, but boy it can wear you out (lol)
Helpful - 0
okay, i guess i can ask a question along these lines too.....
I've been reading that a hysterectomy would make it more difficult to have an orgasm.  Something about the uterus contracting contributing to the pleasure, and if it's not there, sex isn't as enjoyable.  Does anyone know if this is true?  it sounds like people aren't having much difficulty enjoying sex, so that's reassuring!
Helpful - 0
Lev
If an orgasm is not allowed, better stop coughing and sneezing too until 6 weeks post-op ;)
Helpful - 0
My gyndoconc said that is no good to make sex three month after surgery. I know a person who made sex too soon after surgery she was 36 years old ...she died..
Sorry for the message. Please wait and don't think at sex ...you must find a new normal state, but without sex...
Ain
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I did the same thing 6 weeks post op and I had pain for two days afterwards.  I know you have heard this, but wait!!!
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Thanks blue.It will be 2wks this Friday.I was just worried about the muscle spasms hurting or tearing something inside..Can you email me so I can ask you a question? Not somethign I want to post here..Sorry ladies..***@****

*Tonya*
TAH/BSO
02-03-06
Helpful - 0
If you call, I'd bet you would be told to wait......especially to cause spasm in those abdominal muscles.....you really don't want to tear them......it wouldn't be fun if they had to go back in to re-suture...ouch!
You are young, and sex is great, but waiting is the wise thing to do ( and you guys know it).
Those damn hormones!
Peace.
dian
Helpful - 0
Thats what I am worried about.But I don't want to call the Dr or anyone else I know and ask about it.
Helpful - 0
Hello.....I wonder if the muscle spasm in the lower abdomen might cause a problem if there are unhealed internal stitches?
Just something to consider.  
But....have fun!
Peace to you and your husband.
dian
Helpful - 0
Tonya you crack me up!! Email or IM me!!!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.