Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

New to site, scared out of my mind

Hi Ladies, I've been lurking and reading for a few days. I went to my PCP a couple of weeks ago for chronic lower abdominal pain. Due to family history, he ordered a CT scan which showed a 5.5 cm mass on my left ovary, possible dermoid with calcifications and free fluid in pelvic cul-de-sac. He referred me to an OB/GYN. My appt with her is tomorrow. I am in a lot of pain and so scared. Both of my sisters have had breast cancer and one has had cervical cancer (both diagnosed at a younger age that I am now - 45). My brother died 8 months ago with abdominal cancer. His started with colo-rectal cancer. He had surgery and chemo and was doing great. Then it came back on his pelvic floor. They said it was inoperable, that they would take care of it with chemo. It spread during chemo. He fought it for over 2 years before he died. He was 52. Reading the posts on this forum at least have let me know that the sheer terror I have experienced in the last few days is normal. I have been trying to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I have experienced most of the symptoms listed here and know that I am at high risk for ovca.

I guess I am finally posting tonight just looking for a little reassurance. You all seem to be a very caring and close knit group. I'm just so scared.
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It sounds like you have a very good and thorough doctor. Hang on and enjoy the ride!!
Helpful - 0
Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for the encouraging words and prayers. I went to the ob/gyn today. She did a pap test, stool for occult blood and took blood for a CA125. She said that if the CA125 is high, then she wants to send me to a gyn oncologist. If it's normal, then she can do the procedure. She is very experienced with laparoscopy procedures. She gave me a new Rx for pain pills to help until then. She had to send the CA125 out of town for testing, but said she may have results back as soon as Monday. She suggested that I start calling her office Monday asking for results. She understands how scared I am and is trying to give me some control rather than just waiting. She really took her time with me, so I left her office feeling better even though I still don't know much. She said her office will call to schedule the surgery as soon as the test results are in. I don't have to wait for another office visit. She did say it was a complex cyst and may be a dermoid, an endometrioma or ovca.

I didn't take any pain meds before the appt today so I could tell her where it was tender during the exam. The appt wasn't until 1:15pm and I was hurting so bad by the time it was over. When she started palpating the left side of my abdomen, I almost came off the table. The pain was also radiating up my left side to my breast and down my left leg.

After we get this problem tended to, she has me scheduled for a mammogram. Then she is going to refer me to a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy due to age and family history. Her words were "we are going to get you completely tuned up!" Sounds like it's going to be a really FUN few months. Ha Ha!

Again, thank all of you for the words of comfort and wisdom and the prayers. You made me feel that I wasn't totally out of my mind being so scared and playing out all the possible scenarios in my head. I have decided one thing: if this is ovca and I have chemo and go bald, I'm gonna have fun with it. Instead of wigs and scarves, I'm going to get some of those temporary rub-on tattoes and put them all over my scalp! ;-)
Helpful - 0
cip
I am sorry to hear about your brother. My younger sister died of cancer  at age 45, so I know the worry of having it hit so close to home - you become afraid it is coming after you next. I too had a complex cyst, coupled with a high CA 125. It was recommended by a couple of docs that I have a total hysterectomy. Then, my CA 125 went down to normal, I cancelled surgery and went to another doc. My cyst was totally gone! So,it is all an inexact science. Get a doc (or doctors) you trust, do research, trust your gut, and keep posting for information and support. This is a great website, with knowledgable, caring women ! good luck to you
Helpful - 0
Welcome,ladies.   This is a great site for information, an ear to listen, a shoulder to cry on, and help to get you thru the waiting process.  I found this site about eight months ago when my "journey" with ovarian cysts began.
Helpful - 0
I started having problems also about a year ago with abdominal pain ,went into the er and was told that i had two masses ,one on each ovary..Finally got seen in october was set up for surgery because of them being solid and cystic and slow growing,I had my surgery january the 13th and they both turned out to be benign .One was a 8.8 endometrioma and the other was a 4.something paratubal cyst and i also have ovarian cancer in my family history..Please do not get your self all worked up and worried until the doctors actually start sounding worried..If you need someone to talk to we are all here..We will keep you in our prayers...hugssssssssss..lou
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Welcome to the site!  I too had dermoids (rather large) removed 12/21/05.  Dermoids are benign.  Very, very, very rarely are they not.  I know the not knowing is the very worst part.  Just remember that we are here for you and feel free to ask any questions.  There is always someone who has walked in your shoes and can help guide you along the way.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  Sending you a hug:-)
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Welcome!  I am sorry that you are scared right now. Stick around, these ladies are awesome with support and information.
Helpful - 0
110491 tn?1274481937
Rebel, my recommendation is that if it comes down to surgery, try to have it performed by a gyn oncologist, if at all possible, instead of a gyn or regular surgeon. I have read that optimal first surgery is a big factor in prognosis if it turns out to be cancer. If it's not cancer, the better!

Gyn oncologists are very experienced, that's all they do and they know how to get as much cancer out as is possible. Other surgeons often perform what they call a "peak and shriek" surgery, meaning they will close you back up and then send you to the oncologist. I had 6 tumors removed stage 3C but my oncologist was able to remove all of it with no residue. He told me before surgery that although it looks like cancer, he will not know until they check it under the microscope. There is always that chance it is benign regardless of what the tests say.

Keep your head up. I was terrified too, more of the treatment than the disease. All is going well now, much better than expected, for the time being.

On forums, or in the chemosuites, you encounter women that have been treated repeatedly, have recurrences, problems, etc. I try to remember that women who make it through and go in a longer remission, do not necessarily come back to the boards, doctors offices or support groups. So there are success stories out there as well.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Helpful - 0
Welcome and I am glad you wrote. I am a newbie here myself and I just ranted over on another thread about hysterectomy. I loved the way you said you have been lurking and reading (I imagined you with one of those little black masks on!) I really think this site is such a gift.  These ladies leave me awestruck, they will give you so much love, support and comfort and they have lots of knowledge to share.  I am glad you got an appointment so fast, that is great.  The doctors are "on to it" and will help you, have no fear.  Your family history is really scary and of course you are freaking out, who wouldn't be?  I am so sorry to hear about your brother, what a terrible ordeal he and your family went through. When you have lots of cancer in your family you can't help but feeling like you do, I am the same.  Remember that you will feel much better when you learn more about what exactly is going on, you will be able to develop some strategies and feel more in control.  I think the early days are totally the worst, then you realize you have to let it go a bit or you will spend your days making yourself more ill with anxiety and fear. You sound like me, right now your mind is rapid firing and you just imagine all kinds of worst case scenarios.  Try to distract yourself as best as you can, even just for a minute at a time.  Hot baths and junky magazines help get my mind off things sometimes (not that I want to hear much more about Brangelina!
Write any time, there are lots of night owls on here. Let us know how you are doing and feeling.
Hang on to that "Rebel Spirit" it will come in handy for kicking some butt!
Lots of love and lots of prayers from Katie
Helpful - 0
Hi Rebel, I'm new here too and just researching all this myself.  I don't have the family history you have but I too just found out about a cyst/mass on my left ovary (around your size) and am completely freaked out by it...not to mention, in pain.
I can't offer much information as I'm afraid I would be wrong and as I said, I'm just learning myself.  But the other women here seem to be pretty knowledgeable, and more than willing to help with questions.  
I just wanted to say that you are certainly not alone or abnormal for being scared out of your mind.  If you read my posts, you'll see how anxious I am, and in turn how encouraging the other ladies will try to be.  If nothing else, it helps to have someone that understands your fears.  I may come by here every day for as long as this all lasts, just to have someone to relate to.
Please let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow, and I hope it all works out for the best.
J.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.