Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Why can i not sleep..and my stomach still hurts...

Hey its me i just thought that i would check in..I am having alot of problems sleeping and dont know why..I mean i know the hot flashing is some of it but i cant go back to sleep after i wake up...And the whole bottom of my stomach is bothering me again and my right leg..I dont get it ,the same pain in my growing area that radiates down in the front of my leg that i was having before the surgery is back,and they said the reason for the pain before was because the cyst was setting on the nerve.Ok well i dont have ovaries or tubes now so what could it be..And they have still not called me back with a appt....lou
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hey, Louella! Yes, that insomnia sucks, doesn't it??!!  Insomnia is one of the symptoms of menopause, and actually was the second symptom I developed as part of perimenopause.  Sleeping meds helped me, for a while, then I became so accustomed to those that they stopped working for me.  In larger doses or with stronger medications, I was so "comatose" that I was concerned that I would sleep through something important like a fire alarm.   I now take melatonin according to my doctor's instructions as the prescription meds were so problematic for me.    I also have to totally avoid caffeine consumption in the evening hours.

I would expect your pain to be for one of a few reasons, perhaps all of them working together on you:  First, we know from your experienses that you do have the tendency to develop scar tissues in your abdomen, so these could have formed and now be pressing against a nerve or nerves or even blood vessels.  Also, the process of  surgery and subsequent healing involves inflammation which can take some time to resolve.  My "little" surgery in 2004 took about six months to stop with the odd aches and pains.   Additionally, nerves do get damaged, and with all the adhesions plus all the surgery to remove the masses, there are definitely nerves in your abdomen that have been injured.    I have one that still twitches.  Last but not least, you are you, and that means you are pushing yourself to the limits of your current conditions to take care of  your family, so it will take longer for you to heal.

Helpful - 0
I dont go to the doctor till march 8 and i am 5 weeks post op and i just dont get it..the pain is still there...and i am out of pain pills just taking tylenol...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt..
Helpful - 0
I'm sorry that you ladies are still feeling so poorly. Believe me, I know how you feel and I am almost 6 weeks post-op. I hope and pray that you all began to get some relief soon.

Ronda

Helpful - 0
I agree with Gatsby....it's kinda' like after someone has had a baby, they don't feel like the baby is outside of them for the first couple of days...
I guess the analogy of the amputee still feeling the limb was better than mine...but anyway, maybe that's why you are still feeling the groin pain.
Hope you get to feeling better soon!
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Can you take advil? That works better for me than tylenol
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Sorry to hear you are in pain.  I know about the not sleeping too.  I am awake most nights because of the flashes and nightsweats.  About the pain. I read here somewhere that it does take a while for the nerve endings to heal.  So you could have some pain for a while (sucks canal water as Mary would say).  Also, it is like an amputee who has pain in the limb that was removed.  The nerves just take a while to realize that it is nolonger there.  Hopefully you will get some relief.  I am here for you girl.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.