Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Same Pain after surgery

Well I had a TAH/BSO because of pelvic pain and ovarian cysts.I am now 2wks post-op and STILL have this right side pain.I am about at my wits end with pain.Before I had my TAH I went to the kidney dr and the gastro Dr to see if it could be any of that causing the pain before I under went the TAH.I was told by both of those Dr's that they found nothing in their areas to cause me pain.Told me it must be female.So with that I went ahead with the TAH.Now I am still having the pain.I don't want to tell my OB cause he was the one who didn't want to do the surgery because he didn't think it was female..What else could be causing this pain? Its like a constant dull ache/sharp ache on the right side and sometimes on the left.It is the same pain that I had with the ovarian cysts.I trust my Dr,and don't think he would lie to me about taking the ovaries out because he put me on HRT before I even left the hospital.. Can someone give me some insight on this horrible pain?    Thanks

*Tonya*
TAH/BSO
02/03/06
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Do not feel like you can tell the doctor.  my doctor told my husband that it was good because he found nothing but bad because he found nothing.  I am 1 week post op and it is the part of my cycle where I have pain. Guess what? I am having pain and I have not had the stimulation to start it(sex?!) I see him in a couple of weeks.  I have never had ovulatory pain ever but that is when mine starts and it is only left sided. It is hard to tell.  Stick with it because if you have pain, you have pain.  Nothing is going to change it until the problem is fixed.
Helpful - 0
hey there..im sorry your going through this...i myself am having the same pain..n my right side,and yes,it feels just like the ovary cystic pain i had before also...i have wondered many times,if it were possible for me to have developed another cyst so soon after surgery(im 3 weeks post-op,TAH)....i dont peticulary wanna say anything to my doc either,because he got aggrivated with me for doing something i shouldnt have...i know its frustrating..just hang in there ....sonie
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Remember, you had some tissue trauma in there and the nerve endings are still sending pain messages to the brain.  Sometimes it takes a while for everything to realize that the source is gone.  I know it is hard to do, but give it time.  I am 8 weeks post op and still have twinges of pain (especially if I have done too much!)  I am with you girls, God Bless.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
What surgery did you ladies have? Do you still have your ovaries?
Helpful - 0
I had just a diagnostic laparoscopic procedure.  Nothing removed just smears for pathology.
Helpful - 0
i had  a total abdominal hysterectomy,and i still have both ovaries
Helpful - 0
Oh ok,I had EVERYTHING removed..Uterus,cervix,both ovaries,tubes.Thats why the pain has me wondering.
Helpful - 0
I feel your pain and I am sorry for what you are going through. I had a partial vaginal hyst about 6 weeks ago. I am still having the same pain that I had on my right side, before I had surgery and now the left side is beginning to bother me. My ob/gyn thinks that something other than my ovaries is causing the pain. I went to my pcp yesterday and she is sending me for a ct scan of my abdomen/pelvis. Maybe your doc can send you for one of those, if you don't begin to feel better soon. Beleive me I know exactly what you are going through. I will be praying for you and I hope that you begin to feel better soon.... Ronda
Helpful - 0
Sorry to hear your going through this...  Did you have a time period without that pain after the surgery for a week or so?  

From in the recovery room until about a week, it felt emptier in the space on the right where the ovary had been.  Then I started to get pain, similar to what I had before surgery, along with some pains on the left, and more.  I assumed with timing it was part of the healing process where the nerves and blood supply had been cut off (and posted a question where you all assured me of that too!).  My onc said that during recovery there'd be a variety of pains that would show up.  So, with only 2 weeks post op, it's really a little early to assume it won't resolve during healing.  If your pain was transporting along the nerves of the ovary, and now they are healing, it could feel the same.

If it's not that, I don't have enough experience to suggest anything, but I hope you feel better soon!
Cheri
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much for the info.Yes for about the first week to week and a half.I felt so good,no pain in that area at all.I felt so relieved that that pain I had had for so long was gone.But then the last few days it has came back.I am truly hoping it is all just the healing process.I will wait until that 6week mark and see how I am felling then..Thanks Ladies
Helpful - 0
Hey Mary.Thanks for the info.I just wish my Dr would give me something for the pain.All he gave me was 20 toradol..I called him on Monday of this week to see if he would give me anything a little stronger to help with the pain and he told me know take Tyelnol..WTH??? I just had a major surgery..Tyelnol does not help at all..Sorry to vent here.......Thanks Mary
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.