Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Wondering about u/s tech comments

HI everyone
I went for my second u/s yesterday. The tech was asking me questions like have I had any pelvic surgeries and if I had my daughter c-section. She was doing this while she was lookin at my insides ewwww. Anyway she was also making  noises like mmmm and oooh so I asked her what she saw and she said she can't tell me anything(I knew that but I thought I would try) So anyway I am waiting for the call from my doctor but worried that may be she saw something abnormal because of questions and comments. Last u/s was at the end of November and a complex cyst was found.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
You know, it really bugs me because the techs are not supposed to say anything.  They do and then we get worried.  Just relax and talk to your dr. as soon as you can.  I am praying for you.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Heck yeah you are lucky!  I have the exam, then someone else reads it, then that report is sent to my gyn who then has to call me.  It can take a week or two for me to get results...I'm jealous!  =)
Helpful - 0
She shoulda kept her "oohs and ahhs" to herself...anyone with half a heart would know that would make someone worry!  Sometimes they will tell you a little something, sometimes they won't (and they aren't supposed to).  Mine said it looked like my cyst had resolved (but haven't heard officially yet), I was shocked she said that.  But "oohing and aahing" is almost like taunting to me.  It's just wrong.  The rest of the questions were probably just history.  Mine also said stuff about my missing ovary...just wanting to know when it was removed and why, just chit chatting really. Try not to read too much into it, wait for the official word from the doctor and try to put her "noises" out of your mind.  
Quick story about my friend.  She went for an ultra sound for some spotting...while the tech was doing the test she asked her if she lived near any chemical plants...what she ate as a kid...just a ton of really odd questions that completely freaked out my friend (she was sure the tech saw something growing in there that was a result of her living near a factory as a kid).  She ended up having a little polyp...that was it.  Just a polyp.  It was removed in a snap and she was home in a day.  I don't think some of these techs really understand where our heads are at while we're lying there getting probed.  Turns out the tech was just doing some sort of research on her own. My friend spent a whole week in sheer terror waiting for the doctor to call.  Tia~~~
Helpful - 0
Hi faith. I have had plenty of trouble with this issue. They do need to gather all the info to include in the report. But I'm guessing it depends on the degree or doctorate or whatever of the techs. I originally was told the techs weren't supposed to tell you anything and I guess that is most cases. But in my  2nd US She was called a sonagrapher and had plenty medical initials after her name and gave me the info right there. Also would have given me my report but needed a doctor's signature. Also It was another sonagrapher that called me with the results from both US and explained what the area of concern was and what
happened etc. Never did talk to my ob/gyn and when I asked she said she was authorized and that was that. Who really knows but I am ivestigating further as I am very frustrated. I am off to my 2nd CT Scan to go through the same questions again. Don't they have that in our files!!! Sorry but this topic gets me ranting. Hang in there with the rest of us.
Helpful - 0
Yeah it was like this for me as well. My technician actually recorded herself talking to go with the ultrasound... mostly to say what parts she was looking at, but at one point she was like "it looks like there's something here." She told me to ignore her voice  at the beginning, but that's a bit hard to ignore :-p.
Helpful - 0
When I had mine done the tech was yacking away and it was driving me crazy.  I really wanted to try to look at the screen but couldnt see too well because of the angle.  When I was leaving I said "thank you and it was nice meeting you".  She smiled and said "oh, I'll be seeing you again".    I must have reacted visibly because she tried to cover it up with something lame like "I mean around town".  Riggghhhhttt.......
Helpful - 0
I am soooo relieved that you all took part and calmed my nerves a bit, I remember my first u/s only took about a day or two to get the results back so it could be a lot worse. Thanks again girls I am sure I would be going crazy if it wasnt for this forum. The tech also met my daughter and asked what kind of cancer she had but it is totally unrelated.
Take care I will let you know as soon as I here.
Carrie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.