Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

OK...got results of U/S (kind of)

My GYN just called and said that while she hasn't received the actual document from the person who reads the Ultrasounds, she believes that it looks good.  She said that I have four small fluid filled cysts OR a complex cyst that has septated.  (what does that mean?)  Ok, she said that she was pretty sure from looking at it that it was the first thing...but she would call if the person who reads these test differs from her opinion.  Soooo, I believe my complex cyst resolved itself...which means just another U/S in six months with surgery for a TAH CANCELLED!!!  Honestly, I would much rather be dealing with my thyroid than a TAH (I think? it's an easier surgery???).  Deb and Dawn will let me know!
19 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
when i went for my ct they said that i had  a complex cyst with septations with soft tissue,then when i went for my ultrasound ,they said that they were solid and cytic,when i had my surgery,mine turned out to be a 8.8cm endometrioma and a paratubal cyst.both benign....if that helps any....
Helpful - 0
It sounds just like your gyn said. As being hemorrhagic, bleeding or old blood, in the cyst.  Debris is anything other fluid in a cyst.  Hemorragic cysts often go away on their own it just takes longer than simple cysts.  I am a prime example: My first u/s sound showed bascially the same idea of what your said and mine was 5.5cm.  I did not have septations, though.  (There is another lady on this site that had a septated cyst that was the cause of endometriosis.) 6 weeks later, though it had Papillary projected mass looking thing in it that sacred everyone and sent me to a gyn/onc for a hyst.  I also had a 7.7 cm cyst pop up in the meantime on the right-debris filled, too.  A week before my surgery, they leaked/ruptured, thus cancelling my surgery.  I did have an exploratory lap and it found all to be normal.  While scary sounding and possibly appearing, it ususally ends up to be benign.  I am told that I will ahve this problem of cysts appearing and disappearing.  I am 31 so I have many years left before they finally stop working.  I understand exactly where you are at. You need answers and it is tough when you cannot get what you need to hear.  I am willing to listen and help all I can-I know I probably drove everyone crazy trying to compare my symptoms with their symptoms diagnosing myself.  Good luck!!
Helpful - 0
You have helped me some. Thank you, It's just all so confusing to me because the doctor called and said that I have a complex cyst with debris, could be called hemorrhagic...and he made it sound like it could shrink by next u/s (which, is a week from today)....However, when I got the copy of my report, it sounded different than what he told me on the phone....Would you mind
to scroll down to my post that
says "My Ultrasound Report (Verbatum)", so that you can see what else it says??? I would appreciate it so much, I don't want my doc to give me false hope....but then again, my imagination of what could be, may be worse than what's there...
Thank you so much,
(((Raynbow
Helpful - 0
Bananie, I am so happy for you!! And don't worry about being insensitive about surgery. For everyone here who is able to safely avoid it, that is another victory. I haven't been given a choice about surgery, but that is okay. I am one of those who want it out!
Helpful - 0
From what you have written, there is blood supply to the cyst. the ring around the cyst appears to be thick(has a halo appearance) and you have a complex cysts with walls.   It does not describe any debris being in the cyst. The septations makes it complex without there being anything in it.  The significance of all of that I don't know.  I can decifer the reports because I see it all day but I have no clue if that is good or bad.  I hoped I helped some.
Helpful - 0
Okay, I understand that septation is a wall...I have a 5.1cm complex cyst on right ovary with septation with vascular mural thickening and free pelvic fluid in left adnexal area....so, What does that mean?? Is that the long version of a complex cyst with debris? How do the "walls" grow there? Does it have it's own blood supply?
(((Raynbow
Helpful - 0
ok what's that mean?  Walls?  It sounds harmless but I hear it's bad?  I like walls...what's wrong with walls?  =)  
Is it possible to have simple fluid filled cysts be a complex septated cyst?  Should I be worried?  I'm confused.
Helpful - 0
Septations means it has walls.  I was scheduled for TAH/BSO but it was cancelled.  I had a lap instead.
Helpful - 0
That is all really great news and I was not at all put off by your celebrating the cancelled surgery.  First, I think we are happy to celebrate right along with you and second, those of us waiting on the FU US feel like maybe the same could happen for us.  My surgery is scheduled for March 21 with my FU US March 8.  I am in a total quandry about the ovaries being removed if in fact the cyst turns out be be endo.  I cannot even imagine trying to deal with losing all your hormones at once (thyroid and ovaries).  I went into "tranisitional menopause" after my thyroid was removed and I was radiated.  Between my thyroid level out of whack and my ovaries not working from the radiation I was really ready for the nuthouse.  I am so glad you won't have to deal with that.  And I believe you are already on synthroid, correct?  So you will not have as much trouble getting your level adjusted.  The surgery is not horrible - about a week recovery.  Yes the thought of the neck is pretty scary and so you want to make sure you have someone who is an "endocrine surgeon" - even better than having an ENT surgeon.  I am really happy for you!Deb
Helpful - 0
Ooops...trust me...I'm no lingo chick...I just read a post that said TAH and she spelled it out for me...total abdominal hysterectomy...phew...now I know why they abbreviate it!  My GYN wanted to take it all...my uterus, my lonely last ovary, and my cervix.  Trust me, any thoughts of cancer and all those bad boys would have been out...just didn't feel like that was what was going on, not denial, just a strong gut feeling.  Just like I had the feeling that something more was going on with my thyroid.  Now mind you, none of this kept me from thinking the worst or being scared out of my mind, and I second guessed myself a lot...at the same time I just wouldn't give in to her plans.  I can't stop thinking about the fact that I would have been operated on either today or a week from today had I not pushed for a third test (I was waiting for the surgery anyway, so what could it hurt to have another test is how I finally won her over to the idea).  Someone else here pushed for another test right before her surgery and found her cyst to be gone too.  Her surgery was cancelled...I just can't remember who, but I clung to that story!!
Helpful - 0
My cyst was complex and septated but was fluid filled and self-contained low malignancy potential meaning borderline cancer, stage 1a.  That's the lowest stage you can have and still call it cancer.  Surgery was my only treatment.  No chemo, no radiation.  I still had the TAH mostly because I'm 53 and what the heck...don't need that stuff anyhow and they already had me opened up.  However, my cyst was large, 16.5cm and yours sounds small.  I don't know if that means anything, but it sounds, huh?

Don't know if this really answers your question, but complex and septated can turn out to be just fine.  So, unless you hear back from your doc, I'd say concentrate on your thryoid and celebrate tonight :-)

Julie

Helpful - 0
Walls are thickened areas found in some types of complex cysts.  Endometriosis can produce septated cysts, for example.  I do not know what causes the walls.  Sorry I could not help you more.
Helpful - 0
I'm lol at Bananie22!
But I have the same exact question running through my mind:
Is it possible to have simple fluid filled cysts be a complex septated cyst?

Of course of your cysts went away, that is a good thing regardless of the septation, right?

I hear a lot about endometriosis, and how they can produce septated cysts.  What is that exactly and how do they know you have it?  Is that they only reason for benign sepations, I wonder...otherwise, malignant or what?  
J.
Helpful - 0
Well, the way I understood it I either have four tiny fluid filled cysts or one septated cyst that broke off into four sections (I honestly have NO idea what that means, but I took it to not be a good thing)...???  She seemed fairly confident that it was four small fluid filled ones...and that she would only call if the person who reads the ultrasound differed from her.  So, if it's the four fluid cysts that's an ok thing and my TAH is now cancelled.  Remember too, I INSISTED on this third U/S, which she was very hesitant to give me...had I not insisted I would be having surgery next week.  Again,I urge anyone here to trust your instincts...if you want it out, by all means, if you aren't comfortable with that, INSIST on further testing, especially if it's a smaller cyst (mine never broke the 2 cm mark).  I'm thrilled to not have to face this right now as my plate is sorta full with the thyroid issue.  I feel like I have a direction to go in...and all the "what ifs" have been mostly cleared up (just the final pathology on the thyroid once it's out is really what's facing me).  Yes, I'm petrified to have the thyroidectomy...but I would be a mess facing both that and a TAH at the same time.  
Tascha...thanks for letting me hoot and holler!
Helpful - 0
Way to go Bananie!  One bad boy down!!! Now educate me please...you all use alot of abbriveations and letters like TAH and I am not figuring some of them out. Got finally that RS is recovery side on one old post but give me a quick tutorial please someone.    Great news, again!   Cindi
Helpful - 0
Same here, I was told either 2 fluid filled cysts OR a complex septated one.  Wish I knew what the difference in outcome is for those two possibilities.  
I must've misunderstood your post.  So you said you had these cysts, but your complex resolved?  Sorry, I don't remember your history.  
But congrats on what sounds like good news...?!
J.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Girl, don't sweat it!!  If I didn't have to go through surgery 12/21/05, I would have been dancing in the streets.  Believe me we are happy and thrilled if someone doesn't need to.  You enjoy the peace!  Godbless you.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
You're always so kind...thank you.  
Just a quick thing to add to the thread.  If I was insensitive about yelling about not having surgery I apologize...I realize many of you are facing it, and it didn't hit me till after I hit send that I should have been more sensitive.  I didn't mean to treat it so lightly...just got a little excited.  =)
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Sounds like it might be good news!!!!  I am praying that it is.  Keep us posted.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.