Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What is the differance in cyst and terms used?

Just got my U/S results and don't really understand all of the terms used. I have a left ovary 2.6 x 2.3 x 2.4 The cyst does contain a small area of mural nodularity measuring up to 3 mm. In the right ovary, there is a hypoechoic area measuring up to 1.5 X 0.5 X 0.7 cm, most likely a hemorrhagic follicle. No free fluid is noted in the pelvis.

Impression:  Bilateral Adnexal cysts

I am not real sure what to make it all.....I'm not sure what it means but the mural nodularity is my biggest concern. Can anyone explain all of this to me?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you! I'm going to the Doctor today at 1:30 to find out where I go from here. I have had numerous cyst over the past few years......2 have ruptured, one was the size of an orange. I am just so tired of always having problems with my ovaries.......I am tempted to just have them removed!
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Let us know what happens today.  Godspeed.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
The mural nodularity is a more solid component being picked up on US.  It's what causes some worry.  However, it's still usually benign (in my case blood clots in an endometriomia).  

No free fluid is a good sign since cancer often involves substantial free fluid.  Bilateral means both sides have cysts.  Hypoechoic is a echo appearance on the US which is a good sign in a cyst since it indicates types that aren't cancerous.  Hemorrhagic has to do with bleeding or blood filled, but I haven't had any experience with those.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.