Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Ovarian cyst

I am really confused - will try and explain what is going on without being too lengthy.  I had diverticulitis a year ago and late last year started having pain in my lower left abdomen along with bleeding/spotting for 30 days.  My doctor did a CT scan, found no evidence of diverticulitis but did find a 4 cm cystic structure to left of the uterus and posterior to the dome of the bladder.  I went to my gynecologist and she did several tests, including a transvaginal ultrasound and noticed I had "one small cyst" - after dealing with the pain and bleeding for 2 more weeks, she did a D&C to stop bleeding.  She had tried hormones and after D&C tried bc pills.  One week later, I was still in a great deal of pain and it was getting worse (although it was intermittent rather than constant) so she did another transvaginal and found cyst had grown double the size and there was a second one, plus uterus was enlarged.  Did surgery to remove cyst.  I felt great for 3-4 weeks and then pain started up again (low left, occasional pulling pain on right, intense lower back pain, nausea, lightheadedness).  Dr. put me on low dose bc pills again but is hesitant to do anything further and wants me to wait for scheduled transvaginal the end of next week.In the meantime, I have started diary and have found pain is consistently happening 3-4 times an hour, getting worse and I haven't had a period since early December.  I am 49 years old and up until recently have never had a problem with either cysts or with my period (regular every 28 days).  Should I be concerned?  Suggestions?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Bahami!!!

We have TWO things in common - diverticulitis and cysts.  I think they go together somehow, frankly.  I feel for you girl.  Was your diverticulitis treated surgically or with antibiotics?  Another thing in common - we're the same age.

Love, hugs and God bless, Barb
Helpful - 0
I am scheduled to see doctor on March 2nd
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Welcome to the site.  I am sorry that you are in such pain.  When is your next appt.  Just remember 99% of ovarian cysts are benign.  You are in my thoughts and prayers and I pray you get relief soon.  Godspeed.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
It could be a new cyst.  Every time you ovulate, the ovary makes a cyst.  There are other women here who can explain it better than I.  Sometimes these cysts take on a life of their own and grow.  Keep me posted, I will wait with you.  
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Additional Information:

One other thing - I had a second CT scan done a week ago, everything is normal but there "is again noted to be a 4 cm cystic structure to left of uterus and posterior to dome of bladder which likely represents an ovarian cyst".  "Stability of cystic structure seen in left adnexa likely to represent an ovarian cyst - no appreciable change from prior exam in October".  Not sure if this means the cyst grew back or was missed the first time.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.