Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Daughter with large cyst has a ca125 of 92.....

We are so worried.  Her cyst is the size of a doll's head and her blood cancer study came back high.  Could she still be alright???????  They have not received the results of the CT
scan, but her dr. has called an onocologist to assist with her surgery.

Please tell me she'll be ok.  she is 25 and hasn't lost any weight, but has a big stomach now, and this thing has grown into
her abdomen.  K
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
First of all try to relax and remember this:  99% of all ovarian cysts are BENIGN!  Also, ca125 is not reliable in premenopausal women.  She is young, and these stats are on her side!!  You and she are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Thanks, that makes me feel better.  I will post when the ct result comes through.  K
Helpful - 0
I can only imagine the horror you are experiencing; it would probably be easier on you if it was you rather than her!
Think here for a minute; CA125 is not a valuable diagnosing tool for a woman your daughter's age; second...she has a cyst the size of a dolls head...that thing is taking up space other organs normally use...those organs are being pushed out of the way by the cyst....that doesn't mean this thing has spread to her abdomen..it means other organs are getting pushed around causing her abdomen to extend more than usual.  
Try not to panic yet....maybe you guys won't have to panic at all! I really hope that is the case; remember, 99% of ovarian cysts are benign. Until told otherwise, hang your hat on that fact.    Peace to you and your daughter.
dian
Helpful - 0
What other information do you have about the cyst? Is it a simple cyst?  Complex cyst?  Thick cyst walls or thin cyst walls?  Are there solids in the cyst, such as found with dermoids, or perhaps the debris  typically found in hemorrhagic cysts or endometriomas?  Does your daughter have any symptoms of, or has she ever been diagnosed with, endometriosis?

Another note is that depending on the CA-125 test used, the results of 92 could be in the "high normal" category.  The test used for my bloodwork read that 36 to 99 was high normal, and  100 and over as "possible malignancy."  Of course, as the others have noted, the test is considered unrealiable at best for women who are not menopausal!  

Last but not least, her doctor is looking out for her best interests by having an oncologist in the surgery.  Should there be cancer, an onocologist will be able to make the best determination and remove most of the cancer, which is necessary for a good outcome.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.