Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

More and more and more questions i need answers please!!!!

Okay so here it goes again.  

I think that i am going to be on here every single day because i am so worried about what is going to happen..

Question#1- I am scheduled for lap in may to remove a 10.2cm cyst behind my uterus, what if its attached to the uterus do they just laser it off?

#2- what if i have severe endometriosis wil they remove everything, do i need to sign a consent form before going under?

#3- What is the worst that can happen with the lap?

#4- I hear alot about anestetic(sp?)what are some side effects?

#5- How much can a 10cm possibly weight?

That is it for now but i am searching for anything and everything and i have alot of questions.  

Thank you all so much for your help i really appreciate it and i know that i would be lost if i never found this site :)
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hey, another Canadian.  Yes you can complain even if it seems to be free health care.  I worked in health care, as an x-ray tech for 30 years before I had to go off on long term disablity.  If you have a complaint that you feel strongly about then make your self heard.  Believe me not all people who work in health care are great.  There are some with no clue.  You wonder how they ever got their certification.  However, most are really caring indivduals but they sometimes forget to look at things from the patients side of things.  My motto was all exams and procedures are routine for the staff but it is probably all new and scary for the patient.  I always felt really good if I could reassure someone about their upcoming test and save them some worry.
Write down any questions that you have and take them with you whenever you see the doctor.  This works for me.
Helpful - 0
it isnt until May :(

Canadian health care, guess i cant complain because its free
Helpful - 0
I mean sign consent on what is going to be done, sorry these meds r making me forgetful.lol
Helpful - 0
I know u are nervous, and can totally understand it. Im going in for surgery number 4 end of march, all my doctor told me was she is removing anything that looks abnormal and things that shouldnt be there, I would assume if they were going to remove anything else they need ur consent first. I wish u the best keep us posted. God Bless.
Ps. I had to sign consent of what was being done.
Helpful - 0
I have had 2 laproscopies and I was scared too.  You go over a consent w/ your Dr ahead of time like MickeyVicki said.  I just did that and we talked about all the what-ifs and what I would want done.  What I did is say I wanted him to know that I wanted to be conservative in genral (ie, don't take out more than you have to), but if I have to also trust his judgment that if there is a mess on something and it is unlikely that he could get it all out w/o removing the organ, then take the organ b/c I don't want to go back in again for another surgery.  Then after surgery, I think you have some coughing to get the anesthesia out of your system - it is a little irritating and also you are lying down, so not moving it out as much as you would be if you were moving around a lot.  The worst thing for me was the gas you have after for a couple of days. It just sort of sits there until things get moving again.  But you forget about it once it is gone  - I only remembered it recently when someone else mentioned it post-surgery.  So it couldn' have been that bad - right?  The pain meds - I agree w/ MickeyVicki.  You want to stay ahead of the pain, but also not take more than you have to. Or at least I learned that for me.  I felt better when I just decided that I had had it w/ them and the wound pain didn't hurt that bad. It's more just this general feeling from having gone through surgery and getting back to normal.  Also as MickeyVicki said, you just have to remind yourself not to do too much at first.  I felt better every day and so wanted things to be back to normal that I started doing too much and would feel nauseous or tired.  If I remembered to take rests and breaks and not jump back into the normal schedule too quickly, it went better.  It's really true that you will feel better every day and then look back at the previous week and realize that you didn't feel as well as you had thought in comparison to the current week and so on until you're back to your old self.  I don't like being under general - it sort of creeps me out, but you get a sedative before so you don't care about that much and then you're out and when you wake up again IT'S OVER!  The pre-op is just to check to make sure you don't have aren't getting sick and lungs are clear, heart ok and no clotting problems etc.  It is less than a regular check up for sure.  I think it is mostly to make sure nothing new cropped up right before surgery that they didn't know about.  When is your surgery?  Mine is Thursday.  I can't wait til it's over - so i know how you feel.  Best wishes.
Helpful - 0
Okay, I will give you a few answers, at least as I see them:

The weight is dependent upon the density of the mass.  The weight would also be different for fluid-filled masses than for solid masses.

During my surgery, my endometrioma was attached to all manner of things in my abdomen.  At times, it was detached surgically (i.e. by "knife") and at other times by use of the laser.  

Prior to my surgery, my doctor and I sat down and discussed the possible discoveries she would make at my surgery, and how these discoveries would be addressed.  This consent work was done a week prior to my surgery, and was also discussed with the hospital stafff at my pre-op work up.   This consent included how she was to approach all abnormal tissues, including endometriosis.

Most people have no severe side effects from anesthesia.  The reason for the pre-op bloodwork is specifically to look for conditions that could influence use of the anesthesia.  After surgery, some people state they have sore throats, a cough,  or a feeling of dizziness or nausea from their surgical anesthesia.  Of course,  studies have shown that the bulk of the dizziness and nausea are usually related to the post-surgical pain medications prescribed for the patients.   And the cough is often due to the fact that  after surgery patients tend (obviously) to remain in bed or otherwise very inactive.

I am not sure what you mean by the worst that could happen.
Helpful - 0
What i mean is what is the worst that can happen with side effects of the surgery? sorry for not explaining that more clear
Helpful - 0
ty all for your help
Helpful - 0
Well, most of the things that can happen are the same for ANY surgery.   For example, some patients do not take it easy and rest after surgery, and thus these patients are more prone to infections or tearing of the healing incisions.    And there are always those few people who do have assorted problems that could happen anytime.  You have to bear in mind that the reason so many types of surgery performed today can be done as 'outpatient surgery' is due to the new technologies and training that prevents so many of the old problems associated with surgeries in general.

You stated "lap" surgery, but I do not recall if you specified laparoscopic or laparotomy.  During surgery, at the time the abdomen is opened by the laparoscopic device, there is a slight chance that the device will touch the colon.  Should it hit the colon hard enough then it can actually 'rip' the colon.  However, changes in the design of the device have reduced this chance.  Also, once the equipment is inside, the first thing the surgeons do is stop and check everything.  If there are any problems associated with initiating the surgery, then it will be resolved immediately before other works begins.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.