Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Can I develop another cyst on the other side??

I was diagnosed with a 4 cm cyst on my right ovary after severe cramping.  Since I don't have health insurance right now, I could only go to the ER.  They sent me home with pain meds and told me to go see a OB and go from there.  Well no OB will take me right now, they act like you have a disease if you don't have insurance.  SO I have been waiting it out for the past week and a half.  For the past couple of days I have felt cramping and pressure in my left side now.  Could I develop another one on the opposite ovary?  Same symptoms as I felt on my right side.  Just don't what to do now, should I go back to the ER or is this normal?  I know I need to figure out what to do with the 4 cm cyst, but I have barely been able to get out of bed or walk around since it all started.  CONFUSED and frustrated, please help.  Also, I don't have any other information about the cyst besides the fact i have one and its 4cm, sorry.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi,My daughter is 14 she had her right ovary and tube removed on 1/27/06 she has had problems with that ovary for 2 years with painful cysts about every 4 months her first surgery was on 12/30 /05 to remove a cyst and again on 1/5/06 because the pain was still agonizing but the Doctor seen nothing wrong except some blood and inflammation.  Before she had her ovary removed she was admitted to the hospital for 11 days because she needed pain control she had a steady drip of dilauded which is stronger than morphine pumped in her through I.V. It helped but she would still scratch her skin and pull her hair during the bad pain episodes she would get the Doctor showed us pics of her ovary it was enlarged bleeding and leaking, He said the excruciating pain episodes would come when the ovary would leak fluid and bleed. Now after all that she went through she came home after surgery and had a physical addiction to the pain meds she was on for so long it was pure HELL we had no idea what was going on I thought she was having seizures she never ask for the pain med but her body cried out for it with cramps in her jaw, chest, arms,legs,fingers, toes,she would tremor, vomit, sweat, and could not sleep I took her to the E.R. and they said have her family Doctor treat the withdrawal symptoms and not the surgeon so she finally is able to heal in peace. So after all of that is off my chest can anyone tell me why she would be having pain on her left ovary [not like the right side] but a nagging pain. I am so scared something is wrong she never had any problems with the left side and all she wants is to be normal like other girls her age and have a family. Her Doctor said we will wait and see what happens but I started her on her Estrostep she had before to stop ovulation cysts.Any info you would have please let me know. Panda's_mom
Helpful - 0
Hi, What I think Lou is referring to is the FMLA act which gives the right to be with sick family and miss work unpaid without lossing your job or insurance.  It applies if your employer is of a certain size.  There's a number on all FMLA posters to contact and each company is required to post it.  Also, did your employer offer you COBRA insurance.  If not, and they are of a certain size, they such of and talking with the state insurance commissionar might help.
It's a tough place to be in.  Good luck! Cheri
Helpful - 0
Hi ,i am so sorry that you are having to deal with all this...Yea it is crazy how our states do us when it comes to money or insurance...I was having the same problem  .they told me to find a gyn and go to them immediately... I new that i had cyst in 2001 but they didnt start giving me problems till 2003 no money so nothing was done..then it just stopped ..Well about a year ago the problems came back and they were three times over and it was something that i could not ignore..went to the hospital er ,ct was ran and was told to find a gyn..Yea that is easy to say with no insurance...Do you have a charity hospital where you live..That is what i had to go through..And if you go through billing at some of the hospitals they actually sign you up for medically needed medicaid just to cover what you are having to go through ,test or surgery wise ...alot of the catholic churches here help with alot of stuff..But your first bet would be to find out if they have a charity hospital...It does not mean it is free unless you qualify but the cost is truelly low..like for a test that you would pay 2000 dollars for like the ct,it would only cost 15 dollars...OH AND I DONT KNOW ABOUT THERE BUT THERE IS A LAW HERE,THAT WHEN YOU HAVE TO BE WITH YOUR LOVED ONE FOR ILLNESS REASONS,NO MATTER HOW MUCH WORK YOU HAVE TO MISS AS LONG AS YOU NOTIFY THEM THEY CAN NOT FIRE YOU..IF I WAS YOU I WOULD BE CHECKING THAT OUT..BECAUSE THEY CANT DO THAT.....LOU
Helpful - 0
I live in Michigan, if that helps.  My daughter was very sick in the hospital for Guillain-Baree Syndrome for 7 weeks so I lost my job and insurance at tha time.  The OB's I have called said I could pay for the office visit out of pocket but they would be sending me to get other tests done and they would want money up front too, which i don't have.  Thats the problem, im out of work still taking care of Maggie.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Mary V is right, there are options out there.  Lou may have some answers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
It is possible to develop a cyst on the other ovary, but it is not likely that you have developed on so soon.  It is more likely that you have what is called referred pain, in which the sensation of pain is felt on the opposite side of the cyst, in this case.  It is also possible that the cyst has ruptured, and the pain is caused by the inflammation in the abdomen due to the ruptured cyst being like a wound on the ovary, and on the fluid in the abdomen.  Have you sought advice on contacting a gyn through any charity medical services?  Also, many communities now have pay-as-you-go medical services, and if you can pay cash for an exam then they will see you.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.