Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Test recommendation for periumbilical burning; bilateral lower abominal pain

I had bc in 1998.  Natural menopause in 2002. Current symptoms:  periumbilical burning; and burning sensation bilaterally across lower midline, as though moving ovary to uterus to ovary.

No frequency of urination.  Infrequent nausea.  Infrequent abdominal distension, but this has occurred with light meals.

Pelvic exam performed by idiot who stated that my uterus was quite high, and to the left of midline, but wrote nothing in notes.  Same physician did not attempt palpation of ovaries through rectum.  

US in 2002 showed complex cyst, left ovary, and small uterine fibroid.  Nothing was done for this.

Thing is -- I don't want any alarm sounds made, ok?  -- I am attempting to have a transvaginal ultrasound, and perhaps PET/CT scan -- my plan, and so far, no one elses.

I also fail to understand why I continue to develop cysts in both breasts when I am so far past menopause, and can only, anxiously, hypothesize that they occur because of some unwanted ovarian or uterine activity.  No one has addressed this issue.  I have never taken hormones, except as found in @#$#@ dairy products.
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am exacerbated.
Helpful - 0
I don't take an adversarial position, I take an assertive one.  Sometimes demanding.  Had I not, (did I say this before?), I would not have both my breasts, with just a piece of one removed.

One would have to be mighty stupid to approach anyone in any sphere of life, including medical practitioners, in an adversarial manner.  However, read my response to the flattering post about me above -- where I had no choice but to become just that.

My friend - who is not my companion, by the way -- we've never met -- just one of those paths crossing sorts of things - had a basketball-sized mass removed this week and is doing fine.  No malignancy.  God is good.

Thank you, nursepatient, for enlightening on the contrast fluids.  One thing is fairly certain -- it would have been hard to miss a basketball, on such a small playing court.
Helpful - 0
And I agree with you that patients are and should be ultimately responsible for their own health care. Malpractice would probably decrease. I digress..  This is not a political forum.

It seems - and I am assuming here feeling like walking on eggshells - you have had very bad experiences with health care.  I am sorry for that. It also seems you assume an adversarial relationship.  I am sorry for that as well.  I pray your experiences from this point on are better.  

Helpful - 0
I have to say I have been hesitant to post for fear of being seen as yet another idiot health care professional.  Your friend is blessed to have such a caring an concerned companion.

I don't know what type of CT your friend is having or for what reason.  Or, if she has had any prior imaging. The scenarios I am able to imagine vary a lot based in this info.  

They will probably also do IV contrast along with the barium.

The two types of contrast allow better imaging of different structures.  Barium for bowels, IV for circulation.  If they do IV contrast they should be able to see if the mass is ovarian in origin or not, even with what one would think is interference from the barium in the bowels.  The CT takes slices of images and a different way than one probably pictures.  It's more like 3D.  So, in once slice the barium in the bowels is more visible and in another slice other structures become more apparent.  I would guess they are not sure what they are looking for and will do both to avoid having to perform and ovary specific or bladder specific or whatever specific scan in the future.  

Let us know how it goes tomorrow.
Helpful - 0
While it is true that cells must be examined in order to name them, various imaging techniques can indeed show, rather conclusively, if a cyst is just that, for example.  I am not saying that cysts shouldn't be aspirated if there is any question about their nature, but imaging techniques have a high degree of accuracy -- depending, of course, on the accuracy of the pre-imaging instructions for the patient, and the ability of the technologists, and radiologists.

The barium solution will cloud the image.  I wonder what the physicians are going to tell my friend following the CT scan.  Will the admit that the images were unclear and reschedule without the barium...or will they just read what they can and go with that, either because they know they goofed, or due to insurance coverage concerns.  No accredited technologist or radiologist should agree to performing the CT scan under these conditions.

Women must do the research.  Must contact whoever needs to be contacted in order to get the information we need.  We cannot afford to be 'good' should the situation we find ourselves in indicate that 'good' just isn't working.  It rarely does.  I write this to remind myself that I may feel worn out -- I am worn out from fighting every step of the way -- but to stop puts me at risk.  The treatment of women's health has worsened in the last several years, and we have to take responsibility for some of that, as we must be strong, assertive and as informed as possible, and I think that as a society of women, we have gone back to behaving like Donna Reed.

I can't force my friend, who is otherwise extremely gifted in a wide range of areas and experience, even in work that traditionally falls to men, to approach her own body, her own health care, with the same attitude.  When it comes to this, she is rolling over on her back with her legs up and her neck exposed.
Helpful - 0
I myself had to ct scan done ,like four months apart and for both  of them i had to do the barium and the dye stuff in the iv..I ask why both of them and they said that it makes it able for them to see everything alot better..i dont know but i thought that would help...
Helpful - 0
Funny.  I utilized MedHelp years ago.  The style has changed.  Interesting.

This note concerns a friend of mine. She was told to drink a barium solution tonight, (and my understanding is she is to have more in the morning), prior to a CT scan for a grapefruit-sized mass, which may, or may not be on her ovary.

I cannot tell her that everything I have read pointedly states that barium must not be utilized as it will obscure the imaging.

As this is her entry point into what could become very traumatic very quickly, this is yet another warning that we all must do our own research and pursue getting the best medical care possible no matter how many pracitioners we might have to 'interview' to do so.  I hope what I have read is wrong, but it does not even make logical sense to give someone barium prior to a CT scan.  If anyone knows differntly - please advise.

I do not think our purpose here is solely to listen.  I do not think this vehicle should reflect the tone and substance of mainstream forums/blogs. It is to inform each other, and empower each other to get the care we need, and yes, console and cajole.
Helpful - 0
I have a friend who is also past menopause and still continues to develop cysts in her breasts.  Her doctors have not been able to offer any real reason for this fact, other than to conclude that her breasts have this tendency.  Big help, eh?!   She has no family history of breast disease, has not had any indication of cancerous or pre-cancerous cells in the cysts' fluids, and her doctors are not concerned that she will develop cancer.  As I am guessing you do, my friend is very active and health conscious, and eats a health/natural/organic diet most of the time.   I myself  am not menopausal, but I can develop breast cysts from consuming caffeine.  A member of my  family has a tendency to develop cysts in the arms and legs, but here again, doctors can find no reason for it.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.