Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

More confusion....

I am sorry ladies, but the more I read, the more questions I have.  I have been reading on Hyster Sisters and saw that someone had in their little description that they had a TAH but kept ovaries and cervix.  So, then what is a TAH and if you have a TAH but keep your ovaries and cervix can you still have children?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I believe TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy) is a non-medical term usually meaning removal of uterus, tubes, cervix and ovaries.

There are variations of types of hysterectomies.

You can have a type of hysterectomy and keep your ovaries and cervix, and have just your uterus removed.

Correct me someone if I am wrong, but technically what you read would be considered a misprint, that of  "a TAH but kept ovaries and cervix".

NO you cannot stiill have children without a uterus!  Unless a surrogate carries the baby I guess.

Info gleaned from the Internet can sometimes be sketchy, confusing, incorrect and misleading. I like the emotional support we give each other on this site.  :)

Shutting up now, Katie
Helpful - 0

Thanks Katie.  Yes, researching on the Internet can be a dangerous thing.  Lawd, knows I could diagnose myself with just about everthing based on what is on the Web.

I have found a great deal of solace on this site though and I will be better prepared for my next appointment.

I thank you all!!!!
Helpful - 0
Some leave the cervix, especially if its a vaginal hyst only.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I know what you mean.  I dx myself with about 10 different things!!!  A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Not to worry, we are here with you.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
tah is removal of uterus and cervix,the removal of ovaries is oopharectomy,and a SAH is a supracervical hysterectomy(hysterectomy ONLY removing the uterus,and leaving the cervix in place..the technical term for hysterectomy is removal of the uterus,has nothing to do with the tubes or the ovaries...sonie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.