Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

cyst inside or outside ovary ???

Hi all. Thank you for taking time to keep up this helpful website. I am so thankful to find it and you.

CT scan with kidney infection found an ovarian cyst 5cm x 6cm.  Had transvaginal ultrasound 4 weeks later and cyst is same size and is inside the ovary.  Am expecting call tomorrow from my Dr to give me the ultrasound results. (ultrasound tech told me it was same size and said, oh yeah, I see this big cyst even before I see your uterus or cervix). I am 42, overweight & have 1 child. My mother has breast cancer at 60.

My question is: Is there a higher incidence of cancer when the cyst is inside the ovary as opposed to outside?  I see alot of articles and information on those outside the ovary but not as much on those inside. Can any of you provide me with any insight?

I am concerned and would appreciate any insight, suggestions or advice.
Thanks!!
Mel
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi, im 16 years old and i have been told i have a cyst INSIDE my ovary. It is 5.9cm by 4.3cm and 2cm deep. Im so scared and im worried about a lot of things. Like will this effect me being able to have children im the future? Can anyone with experience please help me. Im so scared but i dont let it off to my family and friends. I sray strong but i feel like breaking down and crying
Helpful - 0
HI everyone,
Im 21 years old and and was told yesturday i have a cyst in my right ovary thats bleeding, Im so worried nobody is telling me anything, Iv asked if i will be able to have children and what happens from here and she wouldnt tell me. Im 21 years old and im devastated! When she was telling me i was so upset i didnt really take much in but i think its around 6cms. Which im assuming is big.
She also tried to look at my left one but she said she couldnt see it clearly but if there was anything there she should have been able to see it.
She thinks it been there for a long time, will i need it removed and what about my ovary??? And most of all about having children.
Can anybody help at all id really apprciate it.

Jodie xxx
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Hi and welcome to the site.  Yes, I am sure you have heard but I will repeat, 99% of ovarian cysts are BENIGN.  Ok, got that?  Good.  Let us know what your dr. says.  Although easier said than done, try not to worry.  We will wait with you.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
My endometriomas were characterized both w/ imaging and w/ surgery as being inside the ovary or like part of the ovary, so I know they can be considered sort of inside the ovary. I wish radiology would get a more standardized way of talking about things.  It's really difficult to tell what they are saying from the reports - even 2 reports on the same films may sound differently from my experience!  It really seems like imaging just simply has its limitations for so many things.  It's as much art and interpretation as anything.  My son has white matter lesions (or something funky w/ his white matter) and the descriptions over 8 MRIs have varied wildly depending on who is doing the report.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for trying to look it up, Mary. It definitely is a difficult subject to research on the net. Hopefully, the mystery will be solved tomorrow. I feel like a crazed medical detective. Who'd have thought a few months or a year ago we'd all be looking up all this stuff on dermoids, cysts, ovaries, etc? Thanks for all of your help and comforting words!
Helpful - 0
Hi, Before surgery I kept thinking cysts can be either outside covering the ovary or inside and shelled out as part of the surgery.  I found descriptions of the shelling, but nothing talking specifically about outer cysts - and it was all unclear information.

Post surgery my doctor gave me pictures of my insides and now it all seems so much clearer.  The cyst grows inside the ovary.  When it gets big enough it stretches it out was that the ovary around it is just a thin membrane.  The fallopian tube attached also starts stretching as the ovary gets bigger.  Outside the ovary were some growths (white and red blood spots) that I assume were break throughs of the cyst.  Maybe a couple of these white clumply looking spots are endometriosis that inplanted on the outside of the ovary, but they wouldn't have been visible on an US (too small) and so only the cyst inside would have been detected.  Endometriomia cysts are known for adhereing to everything around them.  I got the feeling from the picture that if mine had been left to grow it would have broken through the thin stretched shell left of the ovary and started attaching to everything.  I just got lucky.  The surgeon is the one who pointed out that the ovary with cyst had a thin stretched shell compared to the more pure white color of the healthy ovary.  In my case the cyst had started growing into both the blood supplies from the inside and so the surgeon had to take the whole ovary.

Once I saw the pictures I could understand why every doctor had described it as "shelling" out the cyst from the ovary.  Apparently the ovary then closes the ends on each other and starts healing itself.  One organization (that turned out to be a weird one) kept telling me the cyst covers the ovary and the ovary could be hacked out from it, but no doctor took that to make any sense.  The surgeron were all trying to not rupture the cyst in case it was cancerous, so if the cyst is on the inside and shelled that makes sense.  If cysts grew on the outside that concept wouldn't make sense at all.

There was also a second growth called a fibroma (a benign growth) that I was told attaches to the outside of the cyst.  However it's not visible on the pictures and the radiologist described it as inside the ovary, so it must be attached to the outside of the cyst, but inside the ovary.

I have no idea how other types of cysts work, but this is what I learned about my endo and fibroma.  Hope it makes sense.
Cheri
Helpful - 0
My u/s report also says ovary "contains" a complex cyst. I do beleive that it is inside, my cyst has grown a little bit more in 6wks and so has made the ovary enlarge more.
(((Raynbow
Helpful - 0
Thank you all! Your comments, experiences and input are all very helpful! Cheri..your description definitely helps me connect to some of what I have been reading better. Tascha..thanks again for the much needed reminder that most cyst are benign and simply a headache we have to endure.

I will check back later today to see how Robin's appointment went and to let you know if I find out anything.
Thanks again!
Melanie
Helpful - 0
A functional Corpus Luteum cyst (hemmorhagic or otherwise) is inside the ovary.  These are generally benign.  Mine was 5cm.  it has since dissolved. Keep thoughts positive!
Meridith
Helpful - 0
Hi!  I had a 10cm. dermoid on my left ovary (they removed the ovary and tube) and a 3cm. dermoid on my right ovary.  The right one was inside and was "shelled" out and the ovary was stitched together.  Sounds weird, but I guess it can be inside.  My surgical report actually says "shelled" out.  And as everyone has been saying almost all cysts are benign.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Thanks Robin. I plan to ask my Dr tomorrow as well, although she is only the family med Dr. My appt with gyn isn't for another week.

I wish you the best with your lesions. They sound more painful than a cyst.
Take care,
Melanie
Helpful - 0
Hi Mel,

I have been wondering the same thing! I've tried to "google" some information, but nothing out there seems cut and dry. I have an appointment with my Dr. tomorrow and it is one of the questions that I have for him on my list. As soon as I find out, I'll post tomorrow for you. Maybe someone will come along and give us the answer on here. My report says the ovary "contains" two lesions, so I assume it means they're inside of it. But, every picture I find shows cysts/tumors on the outside of the ovary. Very confusing. Hang in there, and I'll hang in there with you.
Robin
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.