Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Help! Nervous about endometrial biopsy

O.K., I've had three glasses of "miracle cure" Cabernet, so I'm feeling brave enough to ask if anyone out there has had an endometrial biopsy. I feel horrible even asking because so many women on here have gone through so much - who am I to snivel about a little biopsy? I have it tomorrow (along with a hysteroscopy) at 3 p.m. (sigh). I figure it can't be as bad as GIVING BIRTH or a spinal tap or surgery, but there's just something about getting my uterus inflated with fluids and gas and having tissue cut out while I'm wide awake that just doesn't appeal to me. They said I should take a few Motrin an hour before the procedure (how about I finish this bottle of WINE before the procedure, seems like that would help more!). Sorry to be such a wuss, just wondering what this thing is going to feel like. Rats, can't wait till it's over.
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
Did you get shots in your stomach or upper thigh??
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
No one and I mean no one on this site is a wus!!!!!!!  What everyone has been through and the fact that everyone shares their knowledge and compassion is so heroic to me.  We have all had the wait and watch scare and the wait until surgery scare.  Yes, many of us have had our growths be benign, but it doesn't make what we went through to find out any different.  The fear of what we might lose is enormous.  And yet, through that fear, we have found each other and made a sanctuary for each other to come to without fear and with the knowledge that we won't be judged, but that we will be loved and cared for.  I feel that you are all my sisters, no matter what the outcome because we have all walked in each other shoes.  Some of us take a different path and have a different outcome, but here we are sisters and as such we will hold each other up.  Love and Godspeed to you all.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Hi bird.  I had an endometrial biopsy a few weeks ago and it was not the most comfortable thing but it was not that bad.  My doctor told me along the way what I was going to feel.  The worse part was "big cramp".  But it really was not that bad.  I actually think my cramps hurt worst.  When I had that "big cramp" I just tried to relax as much as possible and it actual got a little better.  I was a little tender afterwards but not bad at all.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much for the info! I will remember to take your advice about deep breathing. The worst part is probably waiting for the results, this is mainly a psychological battle at this point. Being nervous about everything makes the physical processes seem more difficult and dreadful. I have to work tomorrow before the test, so hopefully I'll be very busy until I leave. Thanks so much for your help.
Robin
Helpful - 0
121033 tn?1202886794
Isn't the brain a wonderful organ? It gets so filled with just about every possibility!  I look at it as preparing us for the worst, and then being filled with such relief when things turn out much better than we expected.  Here's hoping the procedure is much less than you expect and that the results are excellent.  I too have toughened over the years - was a terrible sook and no good at all with anything blood related.  I think anything we have to go thru when we are still awake is always a little terrifying but the deep breathing is great advice - it also gives you something else to concentrate on!!  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Thanks so very much for posting. It's reassuring to know a little bit about what to expect, good or bad. Yes, the dilation of the cervix didn't sound like a barrel of laughs when I was reading about it. I'm hoping that this procedure doesn't take too long or that he has to do multiple biopsies. I'm trying to keep in mind that I have to have this in order to get some answers, so it will be for a worthy cause. Let's just fast forward through this thing. ARGHHHHHHH!
Thanks again for answering, so nice to know someone out there was still awake to answer!
Helpful - 0
I had an endometrial biopsy several weeks ago and while it was uncomfortable and a little painful during the procedure, it was over quickly.  Dilating the cervix was the uncomfortable part.  Take some Advil or whatever you take for pain a little bit ahead of time and it will help.
Helpful - 0
Good luck!  I have not had one but I wish you luck!
Helpful - 0
Had one about 10 days ago.  Really no big deal at all.  This was my second one.  First, the doc used lidocaine to numb the cervix, but that hurt worse then if they'd just done it.  When I had the second one, it was so fast and over before I knew it, I was really glad I passed on the shot.
Helpful - 0
i just wanted to wish you good luck,and let you know you will be in my thoughts during the procedure,and while awaiting your results....sonie
Helpful - 0
Hi - I had one of these years ago.  I'm going from memory here so hope I remember right - the bad part for me was when they had to dilate the cervix (that's where they sort of implied I was being more sensitive than other people, but I had undxed endometriosis at the time).  There was some cramping and discomfort afterward - but not as bad as endometriosis or childbirth.  I am a big baby about blood draws and all kinds of stuff and I think the idea of it made me sort of nauseous and woozy so I felt like I had to just get home and recover afterwards.  It's hard for me to seperate out what part was my psychological reaction to it and what part was the actual procedure.  Certainly they're no picnic, but probably not as bad as I had experienced back then (I used to faint whenever I had to give blood back then too - I've toughened up over the years).  There was some bleeding after, but not much.  But I really felt better after a few hours and forgetting about it as fast as possible.  The next day, I don't remember feeling like anything too bad happened.  I don't know if I helped much w/ my dim memories and caveats?  I do remember feeling about as uncomfortable w/ a bimanual exam if that helps at all to put things in perspective about my wimp factor back then.  It does go pretty quickly luckily.  Good luck tomorrow (or today?) and hope it goes quickly and relatively painlessly for you and your wine helps to send it to oblivion afterwards!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.