Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Had FU today...I'm goin to surgery~

I had my fu us today - about seven weeks from the last.  I told the tech right from the start that I knew she couldn't tell me anything but I would probably be asking anyway.  She was very nice and said she would tell me whatever she could.  Turns out she is also a thyroid cancer survivor so we were yacking away about all of that when all of a sudden she got real intense and focused on her work.  She asked what they told me I had there.  I told her a complex cyst on both ovaries and a mass on one.  She didn't say anything!  So I said...well is that what is there?  And her answer was...well, something is there.  Now I am getting nervous.  (honestly I started shaking).  So here is what the US report says:
Right ovary Morpology:  Solid Mass Type: probable endometrioma and then gives the size which is roughly a couple of cm.  Left over has a cystic mass with low level internal echoes and a smaller cyst.  This also says probably endometrioma.  This was done at the gyn office so I am wondering how to feel about it.  On the one hand - I am glad it says about the endometrioma but on the other - sure seems like there is a lot going on in there.  Does the fact that there is something on both ovaries tend to make it more likely to be endo?  It also says "color doppler is unremarkable".  

At any rate - going forward with surgery on March 21.  I think I will be happy to kiss these things goodbye.
Deb
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It sounds like they are describing the cyst/growth as a nodule in the first US and a mass in the second one.  Might depend on the doctor or the day he/she's reading.

What I had was mural nodularity the largest one of size 1.2cm within the cyst (which was 4.5 ish cm).  Nodularity like that turns out to mean solid component within a cyst and can be cancer or just blood clots solidifying in an endometriomia that's been a round a long time.  The mural term I never figured out no matter how much I googled.  I did find a study where all the cancer cases had nodularity and only 3 of the benign ones had nodularity.  The rest of the benign one's didn't.  (This study scared me with my situation.)  (Also the nodularity in the cancer cases was bigger 2.0+ than in the benign <1.5.)  

However, it sounds like you don't have it and may be in good stead!

Cheri
Helpful - 0
I hope everything goes well for you. By the way, My birthday is the 22nd. So I guess I  might be lookin' at surgery too and my birthday is near also. Just wanted to point out the coincidence!
Take care,
(((Raynbow
Helpful - 0
In terms of your question re nodularity.  The first us noted a "nodule" on the right ovary.  On this one they termed it a "mass".  It is about 2cm.  Is that what you mean?  Thanks all for the insight.  Had a rough night of worry last night but moving on today.
Helpful - 0
Also my GP whom I highly respect remarked that gyno US tend to be accurate (while talking about other areas of body where it's harder to get a reading).  Turns out the Endo with Fibroma on my US report was the Endo with Fibroma (a different type of benign growth) my surgeon found.  That they could remark on probable endometriomia is a good sign that that is what it is...

Also, they didn't note any nodularity or paperarilly (how is that spelled?) which are really when the risk starts to seep in, although still at a very low rate, so it sounds like a good reading so far.

Good luck with the surgery too!
Cheri
Helpful - 0
Haha~  Of course I know you are going to say it but does that mean I am getting sick of hearing it???  Not at all!!  Thanks~
Deb
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Well, you know by now that I am going to tell you that 99% of ovarian cysts are Benign.  You've made your decision and you are good with it.  We will wait with you.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.