Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

For Ni-Ki and others pregnant with a cyst - A story with a happy ending

Today I saw my oncologist for my 2nd followup following surgery to remove a 16.5 cm borderline, stage 1a cyst and TAH.  While I was there, my doctor told me about another patient, who just happens to be one of the nurses in my gyno's office.  

At 8 weeks pregnant, this poor girl was diagnosed with 2 cysts, 1 on each ovary, grapefruit sized.  They did surgery shortly thereafter to remove the cysts and were able to save the pregnancy, however they were unable to 'stage' the cysts because of the pregnancy.  So, for 7 months this woman waited to find out if she had ovca or not.  

On Monday, she went into labor, delivered a healthy baby and our doc did a TAH and debulking.  They were then able to do more looking around and stage everything.  Her cysts turned out to be borderline, stage 1a just like mine and she will have no chemo or radiation.

My doctor was so excited, he was just beaming. Things have definitely been going his way and his patient's way lately.

Just made me feel so good, I wanted to share with everyone.

Have a joyous day!

Julie

5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well, I'd been having 'stomach' issues for a couple of years.  I was being treated for acid reflux and IBS by a gastro but kept having pain and bloating in the upper abdomen and lose and frequent stools.  I had 3 gallbladder U/S's and they found nothing.  Had an endoscopy which revealed H Pylori virus (the virus which causes ulcers) and was treated for that.  Had a colonscopy last November which was clean, but from December through January was feeling very sick and in pain again. Finally, the last week of January, I started feeling something hard pressing against my belly button and was very bloated.  My gastro was quite alarmed and sent me for a CT scan.  That's when the cyst showed up.  It was 12cm. on 1/30.  They did a CA-125 that day which was (uh oh...can't remember) I think around 100.  Met with the gyno onc on 2/3 and had the cyst (which had grown to 16.5cm) out and TAH on 2/8.
Helpful - 0
Yes, borderline is cancer albeit at the lowest stage possible.  I dunno....i feel kind of guilty saying I'm a survivor when all these ladies are going through chemo and radiation and are suffering.  They're the REAL survivors -- not me with only my zippered tummy to show for it.  I feel like I should have to have had a more horrendous experience to make that claim.  It's a strange, uncomfortable feeling.

Julie
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
That is a fantastic story with a wonderful ending!!  Just makes my day.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
What were your symptoms that made you go in in the first place, if you don't mind saying?
Helpful - 0
That's so good. It warms my heart. Everything happens for a reason.
By the way, isn't "borderline" cancer too?? Can you say you are an ovca survivor?! :-)
(((Raynbow
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.