Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What is normal?

Okay ladies.  Here I go again second and triple guessing.  I don't go back for another appointment until Tuesday for the results of my edometrial biopsy but I scheduled for a laparotomy in May for removal of multiple fibroids and a complex cyst.  Assuming the cyst is still there.  Well since my edometrial biopsy, about a month ago I have had virtually no symptoms.  But like I was talking to my mother earlier, I have always had painful cycles and some problems.  Until recently the problems never had me going to the doctor.  Essentially I have always thought what I felt was normal.  It is like having bad eyesight but until someone shows you how you should see you don't know you have a problem.  I don't have a question at least not a question that anyone else can answer I think.  But, isn't there some discomfort that is normal right before and during one's period?  I do have ovulation pain though - that may be a little less normal.  

I guess the thing is I have always had pain but now that it may be as a result of fibroids and possibly endo, what am I going to do about it!!  Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!!
13 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you for writing about your research on the B's and folic acid.  I think the point is well-taken that it would be worth taking those supplements in isolation to see if that would do that job.

Fooling around with plant estradiols is not something I feel comfortable with.

Thank you again.
Helpful - 0
That's interesting about your friend.  I don't know much about the herbal parts of the supplements, but the B6,B12 and folic acid are interesting to me.  Back 12-16 yrs ago when i was trying to read up on endometriosis (and the net wasn't there to make it easier), a few articles I read suggested that B6, B12 folic acid seemed to help a subgroup of women suffering from endo and/or menstrual pain/irregularities.  Zoom ahead to now.  it seems that cardiac research is starting to finally focus on inflammation and b12 metabolism as factors.  And I swear that B12/B6/folate are factors in autoimmune disease.  I don't want to make a long post by going off in detail on what I've found w/ this, but I would be curious to see if the supplements would work as well w/ just these 3 ingredients.  Anyway, interesting post about your friend- Thanks.
Helpful - 0
Ok.  First, I erred about the estrogenic botanicals in this preparation.  Secondly, given that there is B-6, B-12, and Folic Acid, it could be that this could be a chronic missing factor for my friend, and she should take B-complex regularly.

I don't want to recommend a brand, but this contains in 2 capsules -- that's 2, not one:

B-6 10 mg; B-12 100mcg; Folic Acid 400 mcg
Shepherd's Purse 250 mg; Cramp Bark 250 mg; Mexican Wild Yam 100 mg; Chaste Berry 100 mg; **** Quai 100 mg; Blessed Thistle 100 mg; Passion Flower 50 mg; Chamomile  50 mg; Dandelion 50 mg; Fennel 50 mg; Alfalfa 50 mg.

This is in a gelatin capsule, with maltodextrin and magnesium Stearate.  It is manufactured by Nutraceutical, and taken pre-and during menses.  It did not have a high price. Given the herbs, I would not use this if taking any hormones; certainly not when pregnant; questionable with chemo -- this is being taken by a healthy woman who takes no other medications.  As you see, the ingredients are the same as many others.  What is making the difference?  Heh - maybe it's the packaging.  Maybe it's one of the few things this woman does specifically for herself for premenstrual and menstrual discomforts, and it's effect is psychogenic in nature. But it works for this one individual.  Of course you also would not want to take this without seeing an herbalist or a naturopath if there is any question at all.  Sloan-Kettering's complementary medicine pages on the web are very trustworthy, in my opinion, regarding herbal use, and mixing traditional with herbs.
Helpful - 0
I have a friend who is 36. She had a corpus luteum cyst rupture when she was 20, and on laparoscopy, it was found that she had scar tissue in her fallopian tubes.  (This, it is presumed, due to misdiagnosis of an infection several years before, when she was refused antiobiotics, and her pain and fever were passed off as, well, teenage hysteria.  She has polycystic ovaries. Her periods were very painful until she discovered, only recently, an herbal preparation - (not heavy on plant estrogens) - that she takes for only up to 5 days prior to onset of menses, as determined by feeling premenstrual.

Her symptoms are gone.  She says she wishes she could take these capsules all the time because she feels so remarkably better overall.  All the herbs in the preparation are low-risk in this short-term dosage.

She has not had the kind of endocrine workup many of us yearn for, and would certainly love to know just how it is that a bunch of herbs could make her feel so much better -- something is out of kilter -- endocrinology should be taking over the planet by now, not hiding in the woods.

But you bring up such an important point.  It would sure help us all if we could be instructed in the myriad range of 'normal'.  But dontcha know -- 'women's problems' are still largely verboten in the 21st century.  Yes. We can learn as much as we can on our own, but I do give the nurses and docs enormous credit for being able to assimilate such a vast array of knowledge.
Helpful - 0
Ha Ha, Tascha! I have pictured you all along as something of a nonconformist!  We march to our own drummers!   Cindi
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Normal??????  When I become normal, would someone let me know so I can stop it!  lol

~Tascha
Helpful - 0

It is ironic to be relieved that you are not normal.  LOL
Helpful - 0
Hmmmm, that sounds like a condition that I have heard referred to as a "menstrual migraine".  And, NO, it most certainly is NOT normal for your period to leave you hacking the dry heaves!!   These "menstrual migraines" can be caused by endometriosis and/or by hormonal problems.  I suppose fibroids could cause the condition as well.  

Yikes.  Advil can cause some serious side effects, mainly to the stomach.  I personally cannot take the drug at all.
Helpful - 0

Okay, well the amount of pain medication I have been taking has become a concern lately.  During my period I can take 3 Advils every few hours for like the 1st 3 days and then I may need to take them again during ovulation.  This can not good for my body I am sure.  I have to take the painkillers because if the cramps become too severe I become sick to the point of dry heaves and they hurt! I am just trying to really analyze my situation.  I do tend to over analyze things - it is my nature.  Can be a good trait and a bad trait all at the same time.
Helpful - 0
Yes.  It is common for a woman to take pain medication (aspirin, acetominophen, or one of the packaged "Midol" type meds)  on the first  day of her period.  But having to take the medication for several days, or daily throughout the month, indicates a problem.
Helpful - 0

I would take it then that HAVING to take OTC pain killers to sustain daily activity would be discomfort/pain that is above the norm.
Helpful - 0
What is normal?  There is no "normal."  

I work as a personal care assistant, which means that I am a caregiver for adults who often have dementia or other conditions (physical or mental) that preclude them from taking care of themselves.  The same conditions that make these patients need such assistance also can make it unlikely or impossible for the patient to express his or her problems.

Training for the job basically instructs us that  when any pain/discomfort or physical inability or emotional fragility prevents a person from performing his or her usual daily task, then that condition is NOT normal and needs medical attention.

In other words, it is indeed common for women to have some discomfort at ovulation or to have pelvic pressure and pain at the start of their periods.  However, if this pain and pressure is so intense that that a woman cannot function in her usual daily activities, then it is not normal.  Yes, this situation also includes emotional "fragility" such as depression or crying that interfers with daily life.
Helpful - 0
I am the same i want to know what normal is too because i too have always had painful ovulation and periods.. Just assumed it was the norm
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.