Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Endometrial Ablation - Again

Hi Ladies.

Had my conference with the doc this morning, and things ought to be getting dealt with pretty quickly.  His words, sooner rather than later.  My Hematocrit has dropped so low so quickly that he wants to do the ablation ASAP.  It was really very easy.  I'm not used to that!!!  Nothing in the biopsy was of any concern to him because of my age and being in perimenopause, but he was concerned about the excessive bleeding I do and the drop in my blood values, being anemic and b-12 deficient again.  I take supplements and get monthly shots.  I shouldn't be deficient.  I just stated my case - I just had massive bowel surgery, the first ablation worked for about 15 months, didnt' stop me from having periods but controlled them, and maybe another 15 months will buy me some time until I reach menopause.  He agreed.  He was more prepared to talk me OUT of a hysterectomy than in to one because he so believes many, if not all of these female related problems will take care of themselves soon and there's no sense stressing my body out again with surgery.  So, I should get a call in the next day or so after the weekend to set things up.  Then, we just continue in the watchful waiting regarding the cysts once that is done.  Hopefully, I'll be done soon.  Love, hugs and God bless, Barb
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It's Jungle Aviation And Radio Service.  They provide aviation and radio service (duh) to affiliated missionaries.  I know much of their work is in South America.  (All their work could be there for all that I know!)   Those folks have developed some interesting aircraft innovations that allow for the short take-offs and landings necessary on the short air strips available in those remote areas.
Helpful - 0
Nope, haven't heard of JAARS, can you fill me in?

Adios, Barb
Helpful - 0
Oh, that is even better than dinner!  My family has friends in the mission field, with most of the work in South America.  Are you familiar with JAARS?  Those folks do incredible work.

Good.  I am hopeful that another procedure will solve the problem.  Isn't the 'food juggling' awful?!  I have to do a tiny  bit of that myself, so I can imagine what you deal with on a daily basis.
Helpful - 0
Yes Katie, mooses eat spinach.  That gave me a real grin.  Thanks.  Except this moose is on a low residue diet and can't take her iron supplements until we find out if her colon is healthy again.  My diet has been a total balancing act since last June - balancing Type II diabetes/Insulin Resistance with the need to have a low carb, high fiber alternating with a low to no fiber diet has been a real trick.  Menopause tinkering with my metabolism as well has really wreaked some havoc.

Mickey, actually it wasn't a dinner this evening.  On Fridays, my husband and I meet with another couple from our church for bible study, goodies and lots of talk and laughter.  We've been treated this last two weeks however to them hosting visiting missionairies who are on sabbaticals.  Last week was a guy who is bringing Christian radio to Russia and the whole eastern bloc.  Fascinating guy.  And he went to college in my old neighborhood back in Chicago where I grew up, and he actually knew many of my high school friends who attended that college.  This week was a guy who is a missionary from Colombia who spent 15 years there and is now working in Spain.  Again, fascinating.  He told a story tonight of having helped American friends in California adopt a Colombia child when she was 4 years old, now 19 who wanted to trace her roots back to Colombia.  Part of his vacation was to go home to Colombia and he actually tracked down her grandmother, a brother and other family members and showed us a video they made for him to take back to her in California.  Awesome.  She hasn't seen the video yet, the girl.  Anyway, no dinner but we had these awesome little homemade puff things my hostess made topped with strawberries (mine had bananas because I can't eat strawberries because of the seeds), whip cream and awesome Seattle coffee. . .

As to the ablation, it will be a laser this time instead of hot water.  And hopefully, it will get the initial good results it got before for long enough for me to reach full menopause.

I gotta get some sleep now.  Later all, and thanks, Barb
Helpful - 0
Barb, hope you enjoyed dinner!  Are you planning to have the same type of ablation as you had previously?  While discussing with my doctor the options for my uterine polyp removal, she basically went through the entire history of the ablation procedures.  As each technology comes along, she reviews the statistics,  has training if the new procedure shows better results and fewer problems, and  then begins using the newer process.  Maybe another type of ablation will solve your problem.

Helpful - 0
Hi Ladies, and thanks for your replies.

I did remember to talk about the hormones, but he actually had in his notes that it had not worked for me before and agreed there was no point in trying again.

As for doing the ablation again, the reasoning is that I had a good 15 months of things working right again before it turned south.  It would be nice if I'd be one of the lucky ones and never bleed again after the procedure, but there are no guarantees.  However, it is, in my opinion and the doc's too, that it is worth doing again to avoid another abdominal surgery.  I'd had hopes with the first one that I wouldn't bleed again, ever, but like I said, it did make my periods more manageable for many months.  I could end up with a hysterectomy anyway, but this will buy me some time to get some more months behind me from the partial colectomy.

Again, thanks.  I'm probably gone for the day here.  Out to friends with my husband tonight.  Love, hugs and God bless, Barb
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I really hope that this works out for you and that you can put all of this behind you!  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
I am glad to here there is relief for you.  I am still concerned, though.  Does your doctor feel that this ablation is going to work, especially since the other did not last.  My ablation (which was laser, I believe) lasted about a year before the trouble started again.  I can understand why you would not want the hysterectomy if you don't need it, though.  I will keep you in my prayers :)
Helpful - 0
Hey that news all sounds pretty good and positive, eh.
It can take quite a while to get your B and blood levels up.
It would be SO great if you could avoid the hyster.  Looks like a good resolution is in sight YAHHOOO!
Do moose eat spinach? and look after yourself.  Did you ask him about the progestin by the way?  Or did you forget, like I always do when I creep into my doctor's hallowed halls??!!  lol
Love, Katie

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.