Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Offered TAH/BSO without diagnosis

Hey gals!
i had my f/u appointment today and I must say I am more aggravated than ever.  He said visusally there is nothing wrong with my female organs.  Hormonallly maybe and he feels my pain is cyclic.  I told him about my heavier periods and the discharge issue, but he said that he ws not worried about the bleeding because I have not become anemic.  His approach now is to give me 5 months to think about trying GnRh or having a TAH/BSO to see if that will aleveate the pain.  He said his bet would be that I have a cyst now but u/s is overkill when in  a couple of months it will go away on its own.  Ovarian cancer has a small percentage of occurrence especially in women my age. He felt a uterine bx was unnecessary also.  CT scans wil not show anything more, unless I wanted to go for a second opinion and I am entitled to that(he says).  He also reminded of the threat of rupture of a cyst and should I have severe pain, I need to go to an ER.  Needless to say I am not happy with him today but I realize he has some deep personal issues going that may be causing him to be this way.  Any suggestions from my cysters?
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you all for your support!! Does anyone think that hormonal changes could really be causing the bleeding, recurrent cysts and the "nice" discharge that I havee developed without being anything serious? The discomfort I can deal with but the other stuff concerns me. I have been told that some of the symptoms remind a lady of  hers prior to an endometrial cancer finding but there again the cysts led me to here.   I don't know its hard to rationalize my doctor's way of thinking.  Thanks again~Love ya!!
Helpful - 0
Please travel for a second opinion.  I don't mean to sound cold, but your doctor is going through a personal issue (from your original post) and you are not getting the best care you could possibly be getting from him.  You obviously don't feel all that comfortable with it or you wouldn't have posted...trust that feeling.  Please get a second opinion.  He wants you to wait for months anyway...be proactive during that time.  You already know this...you work in the field...I'm just giving you a little kick in the rear to make you take the advice you know you would give one of us.  =)  (((xray)))
Helpful - 0
cip
This is a long involved story that I will try to simplify. I had a TAH recommended for a complex cyst, fibroids and an elevated CA 125.I was crystal clear that I didn't want one unless I was at risk for OC, which no one said I was, but which they wouldn't rule out. Nor would they do a smaller (ie:laporotomy) surgery. 3 docs all gave me this recommendation. I saw a fourth who came well recommended. My cyst, by then dissolved. He said I needed no surgery. I am happily working, running and living my busy life. Get as many opnions as it takes for you to feel comfortable. It is your body, and your life...     good luck!
Helpful - 0
How far would you have to travel and do you think it would be worth the travel for another opinion?  And I don't mean to sound like a shrew, but I don't care what his personal issues might be; he needs to be professional with his patients or take time from work.

Honestly, this offer from him sounds like the days of the good ol' boy network, when almost any woman's problem was simply "solved" by removing her reproductive system. I am sure that you have  heard  Northrup's comments on this very subject - in that these same doctors would never simply suggest that any male problems could be resolved by just removing his testicles!
Helpful - 0
Your story just raises my feminist hackles--as if every pain can be relieved with removal of your precious organs or the other extreme some Valium.  Take a chance and get another opinion even if it is a random choice.  If not happy with that get a third.  Two out of three is usually a good bet.
Louana
Helpful - 0
He thinks heavier periods is nature's way of getting rid of waste.  He may be right.  Unfortunately he is with a group of doctors that serve our area.  I will have to travel in order to see someone different.  He says I can take Aleve for the pain and make my decision on surgical menopause or medicinal menopause within the next five months(I am due for my yearly then).
Helpful - 0
GET ANOTHER OPINION!  Take it from one who should have, and has a lot of regret!  You'd  drive for say, a family reunion?  You'd travel to, hmm, Disneyland or Hawaii, right?  Well, come on, this is your health and your life, this doctor is AN IDIOT!
You could save organs that you might need for the rest of your life.
Just because he is a medical doctor does not mean he has your best interests at heart, sorry.
Katie
Helpful - 0
He has been out of the office for about 3 weeks- as a matter of fact my last three appointments were cancelled due to that reason.  My problem with the way he is trying to solve it is that in the very beginning that was not a viable option. I have made an appointment with my GP because I am due labs with her(I had been on medication for hereditary cholesterol before the cyst thing came to a head).  I am going to ask her what she thinks.  She had a hyst at the age of 26 for endometriosis and I consider her my friend.  I have sold Mary Kay to her for years and I worked in a clinic where she worked when I was first out of school.  I have not  gotten her involved thus far because I did not want to feel like I was treading on our friendship. My travel to see another gyn is not a huge distance but I would really have to do some research to know who to go to.  There are many about 2 hours away that I could choose from-but how do you know who to see?  Have you had your procedure yet?
Helpful - 0
Oh, that sounds like a good friend to have!  I have an assortment of friends (nurses, doctors, hospice workers) that I have developed due to my work as a caregiver that fit into that sort of category.  I would trust her advice.

Yes, it is difficult to find a doctor by "letting your fingers do the walking" in the Yellow Pages.  However, I can honestly say that some of the best doctors I have seen (personally or by clients) were found that very way.

I have my pre-op on Friday, then the procedure is scheduled for Monday.  At least at the moment it is.  I/we have changed the appointment a few times already.  

I had to take a week from work for this thing.  I am hoping that I feel good afterwards and can spend the rest of my week doing fun things like working in my garden or kayaking or hiking or shooting rockets or researching the book...anything but sitting on my rear feeling yucky!
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I agree.  Go and get that second opinon!
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Do you have the option/ability to talk to a different gynocologist?  I don't think waiting to see if you become anemic first before something is done for your bleeding makes a bunch of sense.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.