Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Should I get a 2nd opinion?

I was sent to an gyn/oncologist after a bad US. My gyn & the US tech were very concerned, but thegyn/oncol wants to wait. I got a copy of US report today and it says R. ovary is enlarged & largely replaced by a complex mass of mixed echogenicity. There is a solid & cystic area. The cystic area is irregular in contour & the solid area shows areas of blood flow. These findings are worrisome for neoplasia & further eval is warranted. Right impreesion: complex hypoechoic mass with debris & low level echoes with solid components.  I don't understand alot of the report, but it doesn't sound good.  I've also been bloated and gassy for a month now, with occasional pains on the right side. I'm I being paranoid or should I get a 2nd opinion?  Thanks,...sorry if I rambled, I'm just scared.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I suggest getting a second opinion.  If nothing else, then it will ease your mind.  I am not sure why your doctor wants to wait, as your ultrasound results are not significantly different from mine (in 2004), and my doctor said that I needed surgery.  There was no discussion at all about waiting.   I had surgery less than two weeks later.
Helpful - 0
If it will help at all some of my findings have been very similar.  The doc's have been following mine for over a year.  Granted, I have other health factors that made them reluctant to operate.  I am having surgery April 28.  The complex cyst is now about 9 inches by 7 inches.  I have septations and some cystic components.  The comment about neoplasm has been in my report almost from the beginnig.  As to the bloating etc. my other health problems already make me feel this way most of time.  The gyne/onc that is doing my surgery still feels that it is likely begnin but they have take it out in case of changes.   I am also 52 so all these factors are part of the decision to have surgery.  Hope this helps reassure you.
Helpful - 0
Hi Bonnie.  You are certainly entitled to a second opinion.  But, as dear Gatsby will be along to say, most of these things are benign.  99% right? :)  Take care, love, hugs and God bless, Barb
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
You beat me to it Barb.  Yes it is true that 99% of ovarian cysts are benign.  However, I too agree that you should get a 2nd opinion.  It doesn't hurt and can ease your mind a bit.  With it being that size and with a combination of fluid and solid, chances are it will not resolve on it's own.  You are in good company here and there are many wise women who will give you very good advise.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Hi there, I just wanted to say that yes you are entitled to a second opinion....Let me give ya' a little of my history... I am 26yo, had my u/s on Jan.25 and it said that I have a 5.1cm complex cyst inside my right ovary with a volume of 48cc and debris and a septation with vascular mural thickening and free fluid in left area of pelvis and right ovary was enlarged to 5.7cm.....I was told to watch and wait for 6wks it could be a hemorrhagic cyst and can go away....So, 6wks later, we did another u/s on March 3 and it showed that the ovary had enlarged more to 6.1cm and the cyst had grown to 5.7cm and was still complex with debri, now 2 daughter cysts and a septation of 2.5-3mm thick, and my cyst is attaching to the ovarian tissue ,and I have free fluid around right ovary. So, now they are thinking it could be another type of cyst and I'm having surgery on the 24th.....My point is that it could be the regular ol' it resolves on it's own type...(the debris could be blood from a hemorrhagic cyst and it can go away)
Or it could be something different, there's no way of knowing for sure unless there is a follow-up u/s done later to see if it has gone away or not. If it hasn't, then you know that it needs further investigation and you've saved yourself an unneccessary surgery right now. And since most are benign, then it wouldn't hurt to wait. But, like I said, you are definitely entitled to a second opinion....especially if you are worried or don't trust the doctor you're seeing. Watching and waiting is hard, but I hope you find the decision-making easy!
Take care,
(((Raynbow
Helpful - 0
Thank you sooo much for your quick and helpful responses. I feel a little better. I go back on the 29th for a 2nd US and then see the gyn/oncologist  on 4/3. I turn 40 on the 4th. Let's hope I have something to celebrate. God Bless!!!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.