Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
119341 tn?1232563757

Oprah.com

Well Anotherkatie. I also went to Oprah.com and wrote a letter on why ovarian cancer should be a topic on her show. Let's hope they listen.
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
128158 tn?1209613918
Hi ladies!  Just wanted you all to know I have written e-mails in the past to Oprah regarding a show on ovca awareness. No answers yet. Alot of us from another support site have done the same so all we can do is hope. Keep trying from time to time. Be well , Jan
Helpful - 0
Well, I feel kinda' weird saying this but......I never knew about ovarian cancer until this happened to me in January!
I have known ppl who have had cysts removed....I thought that's all it was...I knew of cervical cancer and thought that that was the only primary reproductive cancer...With some medical background, I know that cancer can metastasize anywhere, but I never thought the ovaries as a primary location....Hmm, all the advocacy I've done for March of Dimes (for premature birth being the leading cause of newborn death)... I may have to start thinking about advocating the OvCa thing too! I just never thought about it....never had too, until now that it hasn't been ruled out. Thanks,
(((Raynbow
Helpful - 0
I would agree that a great deal of it is economics and then just education in general such when were you introduced to going to a gyn to get annual check ups.  When I was younger this was not something that was talked about.  I don't know if today's younger generation sees a gyn at a younger age than I started but hopefully they do.  Hopefully, the medical profession has also become a little more agressive when women or young girls complain about severe cramping and other issues.  Why in the world would we WANT to make this stuff up.  I can think of a dozen more ways to get attention if that is what I was seeking.  I think I will write to Oprah now.  I am on a roll.
Helpful - 0
You are correct about it being fifth leading killer and most deadly. Even though I don't have ovaries now, I could still get it, how weird is that!
Go onto oprah.com and follow the links... I think go to "be on the show" in the middle there, and keep going.  They have a place for topic suggestions. I have sent in about ten (!) that they do a show on OVCA.  You have to post your real name and address etc. (well I suppose you could give a fake one but I give my real one).  I told them Oprah would look nice in teal. I can't think of anyone else to nag! If you search on google, you will find a list of women who have died from, or survived, OVCA.  It is amazing.
Katie
Helpful - 0
Are you guys doing a letter campaign.  Could I get the details?  I have often felt that ovca needs more advocates.  Look what has happened with breast cancer.  Research follows the money and influence.We have the fifth leading killer of women and the most deadly female cancer but are near the bottom on money & influence.  Bottom, ha ha ;) what a deadly pun.  Sick sense of humor huh.
Helpful - 0
I know that is terrible.  I felt sick when I read it.
I searched google.ca  
The article is primarily regarding Mrs. King.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060221/LIVING01/602210315/1007/LIVING

I agree with what you say and it makes me so mad.

As for the other posts, that's why I love ya, you speak the truth.
Peace to you too
Katie
Helpful - 0
Katie; that's terrible! Where did you see that?
I'd be interested in reading the article....no doubt it does come down to economics....surely there is no other reason.
You know, I read somewhere that our treatment is affected by how we are perceived by the medical community....the way we dress...how we come across intelectually. It's not fair, but when I need something, and it's serious, and not in my local community, I do dress differently.  It is said the wealthy get better treatment...I think it is true just by my own experiences.
And, for the record, I read your post waaay down there earlier today.....I look for you!  Thanks...I felt like such a baby, but I thought she needed to hear what I was actually feeling.
Oh well, Peace Lady!
dian
Helpful - 0
Yo Dian!  How are you today? I wrote ya waaay down on tellme's post too!  (you need a degree and good glasses to wander this site some days huh)
I have been reading stats this afternoon... one being that black woman have a worse OVCA survival rate, perhaps because they may not have the same access to medical assistance. Maybe that would be of interest to Oprah.
Take care you, Love Katie
Helpful - 0
Hey, kiddo!
I, too, weighed in with Oprah. Who knows, maybe one of us will ring a bell for ovc.......can't hurt to try!
Peace to us all!
dian

Helpful - 0
I did it too!  Hopefully it helps!
Helpful - 0
Right on! Thank you! You guys are awesome!  I will keep doing it too, and I will tell all my friends and family to do it too. Oprah has got to be one of the most powerful forces on the planet. She can sway opinions overnight with her forum of TV show, magazine, etc. Look at all the people she can influence.
I can't think of anybody else to try to make a change. She seemed to respect Mrs. King too.
Something must be done to make early detection of OVCA a reality.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I wrote 3 today myself!!
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.