Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

New to forum = ovarian cyst questions

Hello,
My name is Michelle and I just stumbled on this site while doing research while waiting to see what is going to happen to me! I am 46 and during an ultrasound on my pancreas, a small cyst was found on my ovary. To follow up, I had a pelvic ultrasound a month later. The 3cm cyst had grown to 6.2 x 4.5 x 6.6 cm and has multiple thin internal septations and is being called an ovarian neoplasm. Along with this there is a hydrosaplinx. I was referred to a gynecologist, who sent me for another ultrasound and CA-125 blood test. He is a little reluctant to do surgery because I have many risk factors - I have cystic fibrosis (my lung function is around 45% of normal), chronic pancreatitis (caused by the C.F.) and am on coumadin (a blood thinner) because I have a stent in my superior vena cava.I have also had a previous emergency bowel resection in which 1/4 of my bowel was removed and I had a colostomy for 6 months before it was reversed with another major abdominal surgery. I am of the opinion that I should just undergo a complete hysterectomy and take away yet another problem and not be wishy washy about it. I had the trans vaginal ultrasound today, the blood test last week and I see my doc again next Monday. Since you all have been through this, I would appreciate any input on your experiences with this type of "growth" and treatment options.
Thanks a lot!
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am just catching up here after surgery...don't know if this will be seen but I think there are 2 very different diseases being discussed here. CF is cystic fibrosis, a pulminari condition and CFS is chronic fatigue syndrom, an autoimmune disorder. We have alot of ladies here with immune issues but i have not heard of any others with cystic fibrosis.
Helpful - 0
Hi again,
That is very interesting to me to hear of other ladies with CF and ovarian cysts. I would really like to hear of their experiences if any one would like to share with me. I would like to pass on anecdotal stories to my doctor and maybe more CF women would be screened.
Michelle
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the responses. Since I have a realatively short shelf-life so to speak (most people with CF do not live past 35 or so), I don't think having a total hysterectomy is a bad thing for me. I have two great kids and would be approaching menopause anyway. Another question - I have been having bladder spasms and lower back pain like a hot flash in my back very low down. I have not hurt myself that I know of. Could these symptoms be related to the cyst?
Thnaks, Michelle
Helpful - 0
Hi, about 3 years ago I had a surgery to remove an ovarian cyst. It ended up that the cyst was so big and nasty they had to remove my left overy and tube. I am 32 now and would like to look forward to having children in the future. The doctor at the time of surgery said it should be possible, but I wonder the chances, will I have to get medications, pills, etc... to let this happen if it does? Any comments would be appriciated. I just moved to a new area, got a new family doctor and he seems to think that I have PCOS. Asked me to go home and look it up online to see if this is what i think i have. I came home, looked it up and saw that most of the symptoms seem to be things that run in my family. This is frustrating to me, but should i be concerned since i do only have one ovary? Than you for any comments.
Helpful - 0
Welcome Michelle...gosh you've been through a lot, you're an expert! One question: what kind of shape is your other ovary in? If it is an option, I would vote for leaving your uterus and your other ovary (if it is healthy).  Your body can use the structural support provided by the uterus and the hormones provided by both the uterus (yes some manufactured there) and the remaining ovary. Even after menopause, your uterus and ovary are there for a reason, don't just chuck them because you think they may become diseased in the future.
Wait and see what the tests results say, but just don't be too hasty to get rid of your uterus and ovaries, that surgery is hard on you and could have repercusions down road.
Best of luck and keep us posted as to how you do
Katie
Helpful - 0
I had an ovary removed in my late teens due a large cyst which destroyed the ovary.  My remaining ovary was cystic but they left it. I went on the pill until I wanted to get pregnant at age 23. I conceived about 8 months after going off the pill. I went on to have 2 more children no problem.  I breast fed all my children a long time to suppress ovulation. I have had regular periods, everything fine.  
This year though, I had a hysterectomy in Feb, because the other ovary was cystic and supposedly because I had a large fibroid which strangely did not get mentioned in the path report. I was anemic from heavy periods.  I am not convinced I really needed the hysterectomy but it's over now and I am doing OK. I am currently researching HRT and bio identical hormones. I still believe that sadly, too many women do not do investigate all the options, or are told them.  I didn't have time to investigate an alternative, and I was worried because the cysts showed up as complex, which they had not been previously (to my knowledge). I read women saying "Well I am this age or that age and I have finished having my children" and I do not understand why they would want to have a hysterectomy, knowing what we now know. NO lab can ever duplicate the wonders of our own bodies and the complexity of how our hormones work. It is major surgery.
Katie
Helpful - 0
121033 tn?1202886794
Ditto Tascha's words of wisdom! I wish you all the best with whatever decision you and your Gyn come to. You seem to have a very positive attitude - I'm sure based on what you have had to endure over the years. Welcome to this wonderful site where there are so many terrific ladies and men to offer great comfort and inspiration!
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Holy cow!!  Anyway, welcome to the site.  Just to let you know that 99% of ovarian cysts are benign.  Also neoplasm is just a fancy word for new cell growth.  Sometimes these cysts resolve on their own, so you may not have a problem after all, but it is good that you have a good gyn to weigh your options.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.